That old chestnut, what to do with the spare wheel

I have just moved mine down from the roof, onto a bonnet with the depression, however I can already see the disadvantages, in that it does restrict forward vision a little (and these are not fat tires) and it does require you to be a weight lifter to open the bonnet.

However I guess it will stop the bonnet trying to blow off and I can still see the wing mirrors unrestricted, so I don't excpect the loss of forward vision is going to be that noticable out on the road.

I reckon it is more sensible for weight distribution than up on the roof an easier to get at anyway.

Reply to
Larry

Mogg may have a door mounting plate for sale soon.....

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I've driven Series with spares on the bonnets for years, I've never had a problem telling where the front corners are, even with a chunky mudtread 7.50x16 on it. As for weightlifting with the bonnet, give the reliablity of early landrover bonnet catches, it's nice to know that the tyre will keep it shut no matter what.

At least it doesn't cause the hinges to pull out of the bodywork like hanging it on the rear door does.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

My preference is on the rear door, if driving on anything but roads it's best on a carrier frame to save the door/hinges from abuse. Also had mine on the bonnet and it never caused me any problems. but then I am 6'4" (see over it) and not skinny (no problem lifting it). Also had them on the roof, does add to body roll a bit obviously, and good fun playing 'catch' when you roll it off the roof should you need it. BOIOIOING!

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

On or around Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:17:30 +0000, MVP enlightened us thusly:

essential, really. My 110 had the wheel on the door, and the back door was complete fscked as a result.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I love the bonnet mounting - so macho! A couple of discreet gas struts under the bonnet from the local breakers make opening very easy.

Reply to
Peter

Gas struts, now thats not very macho is it, the hardest part of opening the bonnet I have discovered is the first bit, getting the catch free.

Reply to
Larry

Having driven with on now, it is not half so bad as I thought as you are right you can still see the corners. Another advantage I have discovered, it is actually quieter, as the tire damps out the vibration I was obviosly getting from the bonnet before. Only snag is that the rim tends to collect water when it has been raining.

Reply to
Larry

Can't use the back door anyway as I have a jerry can mounted there.

Reply to
Larry

Larry uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Right, you just need a ping pong ball on the lip now and you can use it as a feature at the next meet :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Larry uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Bin the catch and get two bonnet clamps such as those fitted on Percy...

looks for image...

ala main page.

I swapped them over from the old IIa bonnet.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D