RR

What's the verdict on the reliability of the new style RR - do random bits still drop off whilst being mechanically sound or has the quality really improved ?

My Amazon is due to be changed but based on the experience I had with a 98 Disco I'm tempted to stay with Toyota...the only possible downside being if they bring a new Amazon out which will stuff the residuals. Anyone know what's planned ?

cheers

Reply to
62strat
62strat vaguely muttered something like ...

If you're only worried about residuals, why buy a new car anyway?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I have a 100 series Amazon and a Range Rover of a few weeks age. The difference in quality between my last new Range Rover and this one is huge. The similarity in the build and mechanics of this RR and my last BMW X5 is astonishing. The quality appears to be at least as good as the X5. I would hesitate to claim that it is up to the build and reliability of the Cruiser though because it is too early and the standard it has to equal is near perfection. The Land Cruiser is due for a substantial revision next year but there is no hint yet of the form it will take. Be aware though that there is a new Land Rover product due in a very short time which will form the basis of the next Range Rover in twelve to eighteen months time. This is the Range Rover Sport which looks remarkably like the standard RR and is based on the common platform new Discovery. The reason that this will be the base of the next RR is obviously cost. The current and excellent version, which has just been updated, is expensive to build, based as it is on most BMW sourced systems which have to be bought in rather than sourced in-house.

Since all vehicles evolve on a regular basis, I would keep the Amazon and buy a new Range Rover. In fact that is what I have done.

PS. I have installed the chip which was removed from the X5 before sale and it has immediately improved economy from 22-24 to between 27 and 29mpg according to the computer. In fact the range of a tankful of fuel has increased from around 540 miles indicated to 650. This is based on only 100 miles travelled today since chipping this morning, so may be subject to revision [downwards?].

Huw

Reply to
Huw