RR head gasket change any tips

RR 3.5 V8 early 80's carb Any tips on changing the head gaskets, told its a simple job as long as you mark the rods!!

regards

wayne

Reply to
wayne

No need to touch (con) rods to change head gaskets, or have I missed something? For better reliability use composite head gaskets (I use Real Steel for all my parts) and only torque the outer row of 4 bolts on each head to 40lbft.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In message , wayne writes

Just when you put it back on don't torque down the outer row of bolts - just tighten them up reasonably - this helps keep the head flat on the block and (helps) prevent subsequent leaking.

Reply to
AndyG

In message , Badger writes

wrong end ... push rods ... :-)

Reply to
AndyG

On or around Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:07:03 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I go along with that. Real Steel are reliable and cheap IME. outer row are only meant to be 40-45 lbft anyway, according to the book - 60-70 IIRC for the 10 main bolts.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:18:44 +0000, AndyG enlightened us thusly:

no real need to label those either, hydraulic tappets mean that you can't lose the adjustment. There's probably some small gain to be achieved from putting the pushrods back with the same rocker, but it's minimal.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Still, it's easy enough to do, and a good habit. I remember my father using a length of string, tied around each rod in order, when we did a

2.25 diesel many years ago.
Reply to
David G. Bell

What a neat idea!!! Much better that faffing about with a bit of cardboard!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

In message , richard. watson writes

That's definitely one for the 'good idea to use in the future' memory banks!!!

Reply to
AndyG