RR Low transmittion fluid symtoms

Range rover 3.5 early 80' auto

Check my auto box level today with the engine running and fluid warm, don't seem to have a level? When I check it with the engine off and fluid still warm reads 'Add 1 pint'

When driving it dose seem to take a long time to get into top ( first time I have run it in a year today after a engine transplant)

What are the symptoms of low fluid and am I checking the level correctly with the engine is running?

regards

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

wayne . normally with american auto transmissions , to check the fluid level you need to have engine running at idle and also in drive, with handbrake ON and preferably wheels blocked somehow, ie brick or wood choc under front 2 wheels . then you check level on dipstick and fill as necessary if low .

make sure engine doesnt rev up for obvious reasons , would be better to have someone sat in vehicle , just in case .

if performance is a bit sluggish, you may change the filter in the gearbox, usually located inside the PAN area, these can get clogged up and are a common cause of lack of fluid flow through the box . .

use dexron gm type fluid if you want softer gear changes and ford type ATF if you want sharper changes . all auto transmission fluid is designed to be able mixed with eachother so it wont matter which you top up with if youre not sure what you have in there .

Reply to
M0bcg