Rusty Bolts

Ok - so slightly OT - but the trailer does usually get towed by a landy!

Right... in the prosess of doing up a heavy duty box-trailer thingy (its all practice for when I finally buy a landy!) and have got to the point where I need to remove the stuck in position trailer props (the ones that should drop down to support the trailer when loading/unloading when not fastened to a car). Only thing is the bolts are that rusted that they won't move. I've tried WD40 on them and they still won't budge. I've thought about using the angle grinder on them to remove the heads - but I can't even undo the bolts enough to get at the shaft of the bolt.

question therefor is - how do I remove the head of the bolt when I can't get to the shaft of it?

Cheers

Reply to
Chris Naylor

Have you tried a little percussive lubrication? Often works wonders. Basically smack them with a hammer from every angle you can, the shock will often free them up.

Alternatively apply heat via a blowtorch, you can get small ones that run off a gas cannister from halfords and suchlike. In the event of total patience breakdown this can also be used to set fire to the trailer, solving the problem another way.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Chris Naylor at snipped-for-privacy@pobice.com wrote on 11/4/05 11:09 pm:

Grind the head off and tap out the remaines.

Rory Manton

It's Not Pink. It's Telemagenta

Reply to
Rory Manton

Get a can of plus gas... it's the muts nuts for this sort of thing.

Failing that some diesel and paraffin mixed.

Apply, go down the pub, get bladdered, come back tomorrow, try your stuck item again. If it doesn't work at least you got a Beer out of it :o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Wish I'd read this one afore venturing into th egarden with large tool of persuasion and angle grinder!

Applied lots more WD40 last night, this morning buggers still wouldn't budge so applied hammer to them multiple times - still no budge!

Applied angle grinder to them - by eck! That took some doing! 3 Blades later and 4 bolts removed! Best tactic seemed to be cut away to shaft from 2 sides and then break the rest off by hammering a metal wedge thing down between the head and the thing the bolts were holding on.

Cheers for all the info....

Reply to
Chris Naylor

Depending on bolt diameter, you can drill the head off as well.

Kalev

Reply to
Kalev Kadak

Or expressed even more succinctly: the ducks guts!

Fantastic stuff

Richard

Reply to
Richard