S111 brake adjuster kit

Has anyone tried using the BritPart brake adjuster kit RTC 3176. I must be doing something wrong, because it's bloody useless. LR want 40 quid plus vat and thats bloody shocking.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

You're not doing anything wrong - the Britpart ones don't work.

Use the Bearmach one....... which, courtesy Land Ranger, we are unable to sell you.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks Richard, glad it wasn't me. I had tried all sorts of combinations to get it to work. I've spent about 200 quid rebuilding all the brakes, axles and steering on LWB, only to be left back with the original problem. I've now ordered a Bearmach set on your advice. It's a lot cheaper than LR so even if it doesn't work, I won't feel so gutted.

After all that work, the LR is supprisingly quiet compared to before.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

Why is a kit required?

Reply to
mark

Basically, the snail cams have become worn out/broken/genarally knackered. Bearing in mind that brakes are a safety issue, the only "proper" remedy, avoiding any dodgy welding etc, is to fit new ones, which always (unless someone knows different, in which case I'd like to know) come in kits. The thought of a shoe comming adrift and jamming at speed is.... scary!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thats absolutely right. There were no knobly bits left on the snails , after all , it is 33 years old. I'd adjust them and just days later the play had come back. I never bodge a job, especially where safety is concerned, so the only option is to replace.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

Ah. So, er, they aren't meant to be smooth then? Kits you say...................

Reply to
mark

Here we go again - the terror brigade!

The cam just holds the shoe close to the drum and the only force acting on it is from the shoe return spring. There is no risk of the shoe coming adrift. Even if the cam does drop off it'll just drop into the bottom of the drum and rattle about.

Reply to
Dougal

I'll qualify that by adding that, if the cam does drop off the free travel at the pedal will, depending on how worn the drum/linings are, increase possibly to the point where the brake is ineffective.

Reply to
Dougal

exactly what I found in one of my 110's rear drums, was causing the whole braking system to be crap. new cams, shoes and a cylinder and it'll stand on it's nose if you push the pedal hard ehough.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

Who said anything about the cam comming off?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard, should the Bearmach one look the same and have the same components as the BritPart one ? because they do.

I haven't tried fitting them yet ( bit cold and wet ) but I will report back when I do. There seems to be a few people here who have smooth snails and I'd rather they didn't waste money on BritPart crap if they dont have to.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

They look the similar - without getting everything out of the bags! The main difference that is immediately apparent is that the bolts in the Bearmach kit have yellow thread lock on them. They have different instruction leaflets and the Bearmach are packed in a sort of display box - so I'd say they are definately from different manufacturers. If you really want me to, I'll take some photo's, but the camera is having a little holiday until Saturday!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:44:23 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

I had one on the 110, ISTR. Made a new cam and welded it on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No that's fine Richard. The kit I have is as you describe. The snail cams seem somewhat heavier than the BritPart, it just looks the same. It also came in a two piece plastic display type box as you say, so that must be right.

I report back with results either way. At least then its on google for other owners to look at.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania