S111 breaks

S111 109 with 6 cylinder breaks Had to stomp hard on the beaks the other day now they are feeling rather strange, as I press the peddle now it goes down with little pressure then it feels as though something makes contact ( I feel it knock together through the peddle) and the peddle is firm maybe a little lower than normal, the breaks are still working but not quite as well as normal. I have had a quick check round but can find nothing wrong, still have plenty fluid and no apparent leaks, servo has vacuum. Will have to pull wheals off to investigate farther tomorrow I guess, any suggestions???

Reply to
Paul Warner

I'd suspect the seals on your master cylinder are giving up. If you start to get spongy brakes, or the pedal starts sinking of it's own accord, then you need to re-do the seals. Beware: bleeding the brakes can be a big problem on these ones.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

When I used to work on LR's (especially S3 brakes), we used to 'hang them up' from a crane when bleeding the brakes. Every other normal way would just not get rid of all the air 'pockets'.

Clive

Reply to
Clive

No defiantly NOT a roadside job. :-)

Either a winch, or a workshop with an overhead crane and enough height to lift the thing clear of the ground.

On a more serious note. I know friend who did it on the side of a 85 degree slope using his winch. He manually bled his S3 with a friend and it worked (for a few months at least).

Clive

Reply to
Clive

Watching this with interest as I am convinced that all the brake pedal on our series 3 is a glorified light switch;-)

Reply to
Nikki

Hmm. I've got a S3 tandem +servo, which proved impossible to bleed. Eventually I made the following modifications:

  1. Remove fail valve from chassis rail and replace with couplers
  2. Re-route front wheel pipes so bottom cylinder is first, with bleed nipple on top

Then I bleed manually, using 3 people. Bleeding both the front and back systems at the same time.

It worked for me

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Well thanks for the suggestions so far. I haven't got a crane or a winch so that's out, and living in Essex there are no steep hills either. I have over the years replaced all the wheal cylinders and never had trouble bleeding the air out, done it on my own with one of the bleed tubes with a one way valve. Have had all the wheals off tonight and found nothing wrong, the master cylinder is less than a year old so I hope it isn't that, could it be the servo??

Reply to
Paul Warner

Servo leak is usually denoted by a hissing when you put your foot on the pedal, as the vacuum leaks away. The pedal becomes harder to press.

You say you have a new master cylinder fitted, is this a pattern part or a genuine article? A genuine part will probably have been sitting around since 1980, and as a result will need the seals changing anyway.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

don't suppose you have any pictures of these hanging rovers do you??? that would be an interesting shot.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

No sorry I don't. It was about 10 years ago when I worked on LR's. Sinced moved on to ..... sssh Toyota

Reply to
Clive