Seatbelts speedos and kangaroo juice

Hi folks

Ive had Mary (our new series IIa) for a couple of weeks now and what can I say other than HeHeHeHeHe !!!!!!

Anyway I have one or two little quirks i'd like to sort out.

Seatbelt.....Can anyone suggest a vehicle to aquire a good fitting set of inertia belts from , i'm thinking maybe a van of sorts would have belts that are plenty long enough ?

She has got 3.5:1 diffs and so my speedo is out (i didnt know until i got the speedo cable replaced), is there anything other than putting stickers on the face of the speedo , would a defender speedo fit/do or perhaps a range rover one.

The most annoying problem however is the kangaroo juice she seems to be running on, now, she has been converted to diesel (a 2.5 sherpa/ldv unit i think/guess) and all that has been done with the throttle is the rod has been disconnected from the shaft that goes across the bulkhead and attached to the throttle lever on the pump. My guess is that the engine is shifting in relation to the throttle linkage and think some sort of cable might be better(or not I could be wrong).....any suggestions (preforably with pictures !).

One more thing..... Im thinking of getting the defender mirror kit from P*****ks , has anyone had one of these? What are they like ?

Thanks All

Johnty

Matilda (series 3 109 station wagon)(just passed MOT after being stood 6 years)

Mary (series IIa 88 Rag Top)(Roll on summer)

Reply to
johnty

On or around Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:58:52 -0000, "johnty" enlightened us thusly:

sounds reasonable. rod throttle is only gonna work if the engine and rod are fixed in relation to eachother in the appropriate direction. Most injection pumps I've seen use cables.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So johnty was, like

Safety-critical item - I'd always buy new. Exmoor trim did mine (inertia reel + appropriate brackets) and were pretty helpful. Can't remember how much, but not extortionate.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:31:14 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

well, yeah, but it's easy enough to inspect the belt itself and also to check that the inertia mechanism works.

I'd have thought that 90/110 belts would work in a series - you might be lacking the mounting for the reel which is at the bottom of the doorpost behind the seatbox, or on the back of the seatbox itself, I forget which.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As far as i know standard inertia reel belts will do the job.

I bought new but there aint a lot of difference between the new ones i have and the ones my other cars have. Ive got spares out of saabs and volkswages that would fit fine.

You can buy a LR bracket to hold the reel in that fits to the back of the bulkhead behind the seats. The top fixing on the belts then bolts to either your roof/truckcab of onto one of the military seatbelt bars that you can buy.

You get used to it after a while. Get someone to pace you or use a GPS to fond out where the important speeds actually are on your speedo.

Mine has a 2.5 sherpa diesel in too, and i dont have any trouble with my linkage! The lever on my pump is attached directly to a lever on the end of the pedal rod via a little home made looking rod. This has worked fine for the last 5 years or more!

I can provide pictures of bits if you like?

Reply to
Tom Woods

I put the Paddocks mirror kit on our series 3. The Defender mirrors are attached to 2 holes drilled into the new hinges. You replace the top door hinges with the new ones and the mirrors are just screwed on from the inside. Easy 10 min job, just be careful not to lose the retaining nuts for the hinge bolts inside the body. Of course the Series 3 hinges are the same size and shape as the Defender. Not so the Series 2s...

Reply to
Dan Burdge

on my 110 the reel locates to the back of the seat-box and is in the second-row footwell, can get a photo if needed.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP