Series 3 diesel dash electrics

Where do I begin....

Recently was given a siii diesel lwb, having mentioned that I was thinking of learning something about mechanics. A case of if you wanna learn learn with this ( I think his wife was sick of 5 landies in various states of restoration in the yard.)

So as a bit of a rookie decided to enlist the help of a young grease monkey all was good we got it running in no time and I found where the clutch fluid went all by myself (that should have been a warning sign.)

So returned to the new project this morning to find young sprocket jockey had removed the steering wheel dash and instruments leaving a lovely nest of wire. When I called him at work (secure mental ward... another warning i ignored.) and asked if he had a plan got an answer that went along the lines of "No." no labels, no plan, no idea. Apperantley after a short rant he told me most of the electrics were blown and it would need a complete re-wire.

At this point I am throwing myself to your mercy. Is he right? Is there a way out of this dark corner ? is there a humane way to exterminate well meaning juvenille grease monkeys? Or am I over reacting, after all "Its all part of the learning process." according to her that wants furry seats in it once its running !!

Thanks in advance

Dave

Reply to
tsunami

Is "young sprocket jockey" related ? Or can he be beaten up with impunity, or, failing that, with a big stick ?

What state is the wiring in ? Apart from being unterminated. Are there signs of fire !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Not uncommon for the wiring looms to be in a worse state of decay than the firewall, the maze of wiring is usually caused by someone adding accessories and cutting into the wiring loom.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though.

A new old stock harness can be had from many Land Rover army surplus suppliers.

There are plenty of wiring diagrams on the Internet - many in colour and with explanations of the colours used on the wires. The only thing you need to get over is the schematic of the wiring diagram does not look anything like the actual loom.

Once you study the loom and the diagram its easy enough to use some sticky labels to mark the wires for each connection, use a battery and a light to check continuity if you need to.

Reply to
Roger Martin

No relation just handy (?) neighbour cant find stick big enough....

No signs of any fire or burn out hence dubious about complete re-wire. Presently just trying to find a method to sort which wires do what

Reply to
tsunami

Tell him that electrics and mechanics are different enough that not everyone can handle both.

Then tell him he's a clueless pillock.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Name those suppliers! I want one. Is it Anchor?

If you enjoyed indoor fireworks before they were made illegal you will enjoy fiddling with SIII electrics. The puff of smoke and chasing flames are truly beautiful. Can you get a new loom that incorporates a sensible fuse box?

DavidM

Reply to
DavidM

I've got two hanging up in me shed, little plastic thingies covering the lights, even a QC tag on one of them. They are not diesel looms, and there are a few extra wires which I assume were for convoy/blackout lighting or some radio gear.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Update:

Grease monkey has now admitted he "was never that good with electrics anyway !" and returned with a haynes manual to make things better. Thing is the manual is for petrol not diesel. Should this make a difference or will I be able to see and work around the differences.

Ordere4d the diesel manual and restoration guide online so just waiting for them to arrive. Do I need the workshop manual as well.

Apologoies for the deluge of rookie questions, just feeling a little out on a limb with only a Clueless ape for assistance.

Cheers again Dave

Reply to
tsunami

Two things you need to do: 1. Shoot the clueless ape. 2. Wait for your copy of the diesel book.

The wiring for a diesel isn't really *that* different from a petrol model, the main lighting in particular is exactly the same. However, there are differences in the details (e.g. heater plugs instead of ignition coil circuit) and the way the main key switch is wired up is completely different. Without labels on the wires you'll have to be careful to get everything connected to the correct poles of the fuse box and switches.

Oh yes, and always remember that electricity doesn't always flow in the direction you think it's going to or indeed where you want it to .... and when it does either of these unexpected tricks, it always flows in far greater quantities than you would like.

Steve It's only broke if it starts to smoke.

Reply to
Steve

It fills some gaps in the Haynes coverage.

I think there are places on the net where it can be downloaded. Paper is better, but you can at least have a look at what is in it.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Sounds like a world of pain trying to convert that to diesel. An ex-MOD diesel loom would be nice. David

Reply to
DavidM

I have all the pdf files of the series 3 workshop manual..

want me to email them to you?

Jason Hall

Reply to
Jason Hall