Series 3 not starting... update again

All,

Thank you all for your help everyone... It coughed into life on the first blip of the key! with no choke either :-D (DEEP JOY!!!).

And you know what it was in the end... everything was working fine and as it should be. Sparking, compression and fuel. There was i dodgey joint on the HT lead going from the coil to the distributor. When the engine was still and blipped into life by the starter motor, the engine was fireing as normal. As the engine rocked into life it would pull just enough on the (a little tort) HT lead on the distributor... this as it happens was enough to piss the electricity up the wall and not spark as engine rocked into life.

All due to weak joint... well i never.

She runs as sweet as a Nut now...

Thanx everyone very much indeed

Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian Jenkinson

Always expect the unexpected. I had a classic conk out on the way home one night. It started to run rough and then died. Couldn't start it, so I had to get towed home. Got home to find no spark. Much faffing with points, coils and plugs etc. Eventually I tracked the fault down to a rotor arm that was shorting the spark to earth. Took about 3 hours to find that one....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Takes the average apprentice mechanic about 3 days to find why his car won't start when a colleague doctors up the rotor arm.

Reply to
EMB

Years ago a nice RAC man was the only person who found out why my Citroen CX could go backwards round the car park all day, but not forward. It died as soon as "D" was engaged (auto box). Turns out that the (transverse mounted) engine rocked slightly forwards or backwards depending on direction of drive, which had worn a break in middle of the equivalent of the LT wire (no coil as such).

Reply to
danny