Series 3 not starting

All,

I need some advise... after a few years in the garage. And some fully refurbished axles. I 've thought its about time I got the old Girl back on the road again. Problem the motor turns over but doesn't start.

Check list;

Fuel system...

Carb has been fully steam cleaned, new gasket set fitted and rinsed with clean petrol. New fuel filter and sediment filter blow filter. Sediment blow cleaned out.

20 litres of petrol. Replaced the fuel line as it looked dicey.

Looks like the carb is functioning normally with fuel getting to the engine.

Electrical system...

I've looking in the manual and its says to hold spare spark plug on the crank case to check for a spark. This is happening. It also says to check that the spark is bright and should spark regularly not continuously. This also ok. The distributor is dry and is free from cracks. Replaced all of the spark plugs all the same.

Battery is charged and is fine.

According to everything that i have done the engine should fire into life but it doesn't.

What am i doing wrong... and is there anyone how can help me. I live in Bexley in Kent.

Cheers Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Jenkinson

Adrian,

Are the plug leads on the correct plugs - check that the timing is approx right by setting no 1 cyl to top dead centre on the compression stroke and check that the rotor arm is pointing at no 1 lead.

If you are desperate I'm in Bromley,

Regards,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hi Adrian, I would be inclined to do a compression test, the rings or valves may have stuck if its been laid up for a while. At the very least the bores will be dry and a little oil down each cylinder, then a spin over with thge plugs out would not go amiss mefore she fires up.

Good luck!

Tezza

Reply to
terry

[...]

: >

: : Adrian, : : Are the plug leads on the correct plugs - check that the timing is approx : right by setting no 1 cyl to top dead centre on the compression stroke and : check that the rotor arm is pointing at no 1 lead. : : If you are desperate I'm in Bromley, : : Regards, : : Andrew : :

Reply to
thesnowbaron

Thanx all...

I'm going to try all the electrical and engine timing. Then if if the Landy still doesn't start i'll try and have a look if the valves are sticking. I forgot to mention that i also replaced perished vacuum pipe too. So many people have said it high unlikely that it is compression problem.

Cheers Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Jenkinson

You have fuel. - Do you have the right amount? You have a spark. - Is the spark happening at the right time? You need a timing light to see if you do. Do you have air? - check the air filter, no mouse nests or blocked feeds.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware