Series diesel welding precautions?

Can anyone tell me what precautions I should take before using a mig welder on a 2.25 diesel IIa (always owned petrol LRs previously). Is disconnecting the battery all that's required?

Reply to
Jerry

You can if you wish, but in all honesty I have never ever disconnected a battery on any vehicle that I've done welding on, regardless of age/make/type, ever! If you consider the current paths, there is absolutely no reason for doing so - the welder is passing current from torch to body and back to the welder via its earth connection - nowhere are you going near anything electrical or passing current near a positive part of the vehicle that it could return via a component and damage it, so whether the battery is connected or not is irrelevant. If your torch touches something it shouldn't and passes current through that something back to earth, then it will most likely be fried beyond repair regardless of whether a battery is connected or not. Just my thoughts... Badger.

Reply to
Badger

You can disconnect the battery if you like, it hardly makes any difference on a vehicle of Series Vintage. It doesnt make much difference on modern vehicles either, though there is the theoretical risk of frying delicate electronics.

Other than that the only other precaution I can think of is dont mig weld the tank while it's got diesel in it. If you make a hole it will piss out onto the floor and it will be wasted.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

So no precautions then -- other than not welding the fuel tank with fuel in it, thanks Alex ;)

Thanks guys.

Reply to
Jerry

That was a jokey but serious comment - but don't think about welding an empty tank either: it's potentially even more of a hazard!

Reply to
Dougal

If your welding is anything like my efforts have a bucket (or three in my case!) of water standing by ... ;)

I do remove the battery, but more from a peace of mind thing than for any practical use.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

In addition from the other answers, when I was in a workshop in the '70s, we used to disconnect the alternator when arc welding on a vehicle. The diodes were/ are sensitive to stray currents. If it's got a dynamo, don't bother.

Reply to
John Williamson

Unplug/disconnect the Alternator, if you have one, Dynamo's should be safe, no high current shotkey diodes to fry...

If you have a radio, dis' that too, just in case.

Make sure your welder ground lead(s) are attached somewhere close to where you'r welding, else the welding current will have to travel some distance to find it's way back to the welder, and that's what often causes the trouble.

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter

Yeah, Wait till you plasma through the fuel line.... Its amazing how quickly you can find the garden hose, unroll it, connect it an put out the underseal fire!

Technically I was some distance from the fuel line but it got propper hot and melted.

Steep learning curve this life thing isn't it!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D