Ooops .. Put petrol in diesel car..

Ooops, borrowed a friends car, a peugeot 106 diesel and put petrol in it.. Fuel guage was in the red, I put in 2.5 litres of petrol and stopped... Then filled it with another 25 litres of diesel.. Just driven 25 miles and it seemed fine, faster in fact?!!? Question is, will it have or will be doing damage??

Reply to
bob.dung

It will be fine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

On that, you'll be fine.

Don't do it on any newer diesel, though.

Reply to
Adrian

Sigh of relief here... Thanks people!

so is it my imagination that it went better/faster with the little petrol in it or does it do anything like make the diesel more explosive..? Probably i was just waiting for something to happen, driving along waiting for the splutter and death!!

Reply to
bob.dung

More volatile stuff - like petrol - is put in diesel in winter, to lower freezing point, and make it ignite a little easier.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

No worries at all, in fact, you've just winterised it :-)

Reply to
Tunku

innews: snipped-for-privacy@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Glad i didn't fo with Plan A then... At the "oh shit" moment in the petrol station my initial thought was, should i call the AA...

Went with Plan B.. Fill it up and see what happens...

Reply to
bob.dung

Bob.dung wrote

Stop using the car immediately!

You should take note of these two reports, one from the AA, and the other from a filling station which has been given instructions by the fuel company on misfuelling.

(1) Please read "What is the damage?" and "What should I do with a misfuelled car?"

(in PDF; page 2 of 3) (2) "...If ANY petrol of any sort mixed in with diesel - DON'T start the car. Petrol will detonate and knacker a diesel engine very quickly. Even a very small amount of petrol is bad news...."
(Last paragraph)

Reply to
Lin Chung

Well, the first one doesn't work, and the last paragraph of the second one is complete and utter bollocks.

More paranoia is required for the most recent modern diesels, but your mate's 106 isn't one of those. As everybody else has said, it'll be fine.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Try this:

Put "misfuelling" in the Search Box in the top Lt. corner. The second hit on the list should be "Misfuelling - Don't Get Caught Out", which is the PDF article posted earlier.

Reply to
Lin Chung

"Lin Chung" wrote in news:KbQyh.3120$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

A tad OTT in this case ;-)

Reply to
Tunku

Lin Chung ( snipped-for-privacy@the.Water.Margin.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Look, it's straightforward. It's only common rail diesels that the dire warnings apply to. A 106 is not a common rail diesel.

I don't care how many over-simplified doom'n'gloom warnings you come up with.

Reply to
Adrian

Ok, that one's a little more sensible. All that remains is to note the advice in it doesn't apply to the OP's 106, and certainly not in the quantities he mentioned. (10%).

clive

Reply to
Clive George

It may even have been a bit more diluted actually.. In my OP i simplified quantity based on price of =A31 per litre.. I actually put in =A32.30 of petrol followed by =A324.50 of diesel.. So at =A30.90p per litre plus there was some diesel left etc etc..

done another 25 miles in it today and all is still well.. Started great this morning in minus 4 celcius too :-)

You whats gonna happen tomoro of course, I'll get my saaaab turbo (petrol) back from the garage and fill it with diesel...

./B

Reply to
bob.dung

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

We'll wait for the post to confirm :-)

Reply to
Tunku

I agree. My mate services plant equipment, Terexs and the like. He was at a site once and they asked him if he'd have a look at their petrol generator while he was there, as it was a bit noisy. He quickly concluded it wasn't a PETROL generator but DIESEL!!! They'd been filling it up with petrol for years as no one had told them it was diesel. When he put diesel in it quietened down a bit, so they were happy. I dare say it didn't do it much good but it obviously can't be that catastrophic.

My understanding is it does depend on the age of the engine. I reckon my '94 Transit 2.5D would run on anything from chip fat to petrol if I tried, but I don't think the same could be said for my '05 Citroen C5!

BobC

Reply to
BobC

It seems totally ironic that diesels like my ex 17 year-old Astra, manufactured before people started to worry about the environment, could quite happily run on 100 per cent Bio-diesel. Yet there are warnings in the handbook about using any more than a five per cent mixture in my less than five-year-old focus!

Reply to
Ivan

I think you had better join this club. :)

Lin Chung

Get message *you are not authorised to view" on all these links. Why would that be?

Reply to
Lofty.

I think it's an error when the website was redesigned as the AA Motoring Trust was transferred to the IAM Motoring Trust. I got in first time initially -- I'm not a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists -- hence the use of my original link unwittingly, but I got debarred from entry like anybody else just as Clive notified me.

Reply to
Lin Chung