Exhaust price?

Just curios if anyone can tell me what I should expect to pay for a new exhaust system for my CJ-7? I know this varies depending on location etc. but ballpark is fine.

I plan on totally replacing the cat, muffler, and exhaust pipes. Running the 4.2L

Just trying to get an idea what to expect.

Would anyone suggest purchasing the individual parts through 4wd hardware or something along those lines? I have a 220V mig welder, but haven't learned to use it yet.....

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

If you are using a stock exhaust system, I would recommend going to a reputable muffler shop in your area. They can usually install a complete system for what you'll pay for the parts alone. One exception might be the cat. Some of them seem to be high. I would add up the cost of your parts you plan to buy, and then get a quote from a few exhaust shops. I think you'll be surprised how close they are.

Chris

I installed a cat-back for under $200 including parts and labor to custom bend the pipes.

I don't think this is a very good project to work the kinks out of your welding technique. The pipe will need to be bent and formed in a couple of places to fit right. Try a local Mom & Pop muffler store for good service and the artistic interest of a good bender.

Reply to
CRWLR

I had all new pipe and muffler (did not want loud) on my cj-8 from the cat back, told him "Cash"

$75

I don't understand the value of a kit? Would you really gain that much?

I live in the south, called a rural Muffler man, paid cash, no problems in a year.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Frankly, I don't have much faith in kits, per se, as I have in new parts that actually work. I had an issue with the bolt-together exhaust system that I made worse by applying liberal applications of a BFH and some liquid cooling (poorly veiled reference to a previous thread). I opted to put the remains of the exhaust system in the back seat and go see a professional. I ended up with an entirely new exhaust system -- cat, muffler and the entire pipe -- for $200 out-the-door. My exhaust has no seams in it that can come apart, but the down side is that it takes a torch or saw to make any more repairs or changes. The upside is it has nowhere to leak.

Reply to
CRWLR