Series I CDL shifter in a Seies II Discovery.

I'm looking at ways to activate the central diff lock in my series II Discovery. There are many after market kits and DIY ways to go, and there is fitting the shifer from a series I.

The only draw back with going this method appears to be that it allows a bit more noise into the cabin, surely it would be no more noise than a series I since shifters, transfer cases etc would be the same.

Has anyone had experience with this setup and care to comment?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Wise

Tim

Im not sure the sI actuator will fit nor am I sure about the hole creating the extra noise, my series 1 howls like a coyote at 120km/h (from the x-case) with all the standard sound proofing. btw had to remove door trim the other day on another issue and had a close look at the alleged 'sound proofing' hmmm...

Roly

Reply to
Roly

Hello Roly, according to

actuator does fit with some minor mods. You wouldn't thinka small hole would make it that much noisier. As for the noise in a Series I at 120km I haven't tried it, ina series II I always thought it was relatively quiet, althoughyou can tell there are a few noisy bits of gear not far away. Maybe so sound proofing would help or some better bushes on the actutator.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Wise

Hi Tim

I have just had it done to my G4 Discovery. Bits in South Africa came to R

1000 (GBP 80) for linkages and levers. As my xfer case also had no clutch (2003 spec), I had to buy that as well for R 400 (GBP 35). They charged me GBP 80 for fitting and it works like a charm. If your difflock light comes on when you engage the unit (normally only if you had the little clutch still on the xfer casing), you need to visit a dealer to set your computer or you will confuse the ECU.

I have not noticed any more interior noise on the road yet ...... early days ;-)

From Africa

Aubrey

Reply to
Aubrey