Dead Disco

I stopped the Disco tonight at traffic lights in London a couple of miles after driving down the M1. After a few minutes there was a soft thud and the engine stopped. It wouldn't start (or even turn) again and the engine seems to have seized. I was towed home by Green Flag. Mileage is 57K, service has been regular since new, last service was 3k miles ago and timing belt was changed 12 months ago. There was a spot but not a lot of oil on the road. I have not investigated further yet but this looks expensive.

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI

Reply to
Keith

Yes, it sounds expensive too. Is there any oil in it?

Reply to
David French

Yes the oil level looks fine, just below the max level on the dipstick. I have not had a chance to look further yet but I'm puzzled as to what (apart from lack of oil) will cause an engine to seize suddenly without warning?

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI

Reply to
Keith

So am I, but I'm sure somebody here will hazard a guess. Is it an auto? I'm wondering if it could be something downstream of the engine - like the torque converter?

I was sitting at some traffic lights in LA a while back, when an enormous hot-rod pulled up next to me making about as much noise as Schumacher (but a little more growly). He sat there revving it at the lights, and when the lights changed, put his foot down and the whole thing went bang. I think it was a conrod coming through the block. It was actually quite amusing but I bet it was gutting for the driver.

David

Reply to
David French

No, it's a manual. There was not a bang, just a soft thud and I'd been travelling down the motorway at 70mph+ then into stop start city traffic. I'm glad it did not seize when I was doing 70mph. I'll try and look at it this weekend but it looks like I'll be using the motorbike rather more for the next little while.

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI Triumph Sprint Exec

Reply to
Keith

In article , David French writes

I have seen this happen before.

Take the fan belt off and try to start it.

I have had two customers who's alternator has seized giving the same affect.

My local main dealer even got as far as taking the head off a 300tdi before finding it was the alternator.

Reply to
marc

Thanks Marc. I'll try that as soon as I get the chance.

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI Triumph Sprint Exec

Reply to
Keith

Twas Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:24:58 +0000 when marc put finger to keyboard producing:

Alternator? surely the engine would just drag the belt around the alternator pulley?, but then what do I know, my alternator is playing up again and I have no idea why....

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

The ribbed belt / auto tensioner do such a good job that they will not let the engine turn over.

Reply to
marc

Many thanks Marc that seems to have been the cause. I took the fan belt off and the engine started. You have saved me a small fortune.

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI Triumph Sprint Exec

Reply to
Keith

In article , Keith writes

Glad to help

You might consider changing the belt tensioner at the same time.

It might be that the tension on the belt has wrecked the bearings in the alternator. Unless you do millions of miles or offroad it allot.

Regards

Reply to
marc

On or around Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:11:39 +0000, marc enlightened us thusly:

mind, them alternator bearings seem to go - we had the same on ours when we bought it (hadn't seized, but was noisy) but luckily noticed it before handing over pennies, so I negotiated a bit off the price plus a recon alternator (came to about 500 quid altogether...) from the dealer. Not all main dealers are nefrubyrf...

Reply to
Austin Shackles