series 2a gearbox problems

hiya,

ive just took my series out for its maiden run. alls well except the gearbox is very very noisey, sounds like its in 4 wheel drive.

all the controlls are in the right positions but i can still get it into 4th at 20mph and it pulls ok. bearing in mind ive also got

7.50x16 tyres on and 5.1 diffs fitted. id expect it to struggle big time in 4th at that speed.

is it possible for the box to be out of 4 wheel drive but still in low as i am hoping there is a rod/pin or something thats stuck, the box has been sitting around and dragged from here to there for about 4 years, as when i dropped the transfere oil about 1/2 a pint of water came out first, but no bits or bobs or balls or shims just thick goey oil oh, and the 1/2 a pint of water.

i9t changes gear lovely and selects gears as it should, its just the noise is like its in 4 wheel drive ( when turning the front wheels do not slip or bite), any help or advise would be greatly appreciated as im scratching my head with this, and as ive only just put it in id rather not have to swap it if i can help it.

andy

Reply to
Andy

If you are not familiar with the noise from these vehicles, it is quite possible that the noise is perfectly normal. However, if there was water in the transfer case, and it has bee there for any length of time, the bearings will almost certainly be rough and noisy at the least.

You do not mention the type of engine, but my petrol engined 109 will happily pull top at 20mph on 7.50 tyres (on the level), and the low down torque is better on diesels.

You can easily check whether the transfer case is in low by driving it in both low and high - the difference will be very obvious. To check whether the noise is in the main gearbox or the transfer case, check the noise levels in neutral, this may help.

Series Landrovers should be no noisier in four wheel drive than two wheel drive, but low range will be a lot noisier. JD

Reply to
JD

Clutching at straws but my SIIa was always a pig for not letting go of

4X4 when coming off green lanes and onto the tarmac again. The cure for me is to change back up to high ratio then reverse a couple of vehicle lengths. I haven;t explored the reason, this cure works fine for me so far :)

Always had to explain what I was going to do well in advance when a party of several vehicles was involved as I would pull over shortly after getting onto the tarmac and so would everyone who was behind me, so I couoldn't reverse

Reply to
wayne

i had a series3 box in previously and altho noisey it wasnt a patch on this thing.

i have a 2.8 diahatsu diesel in it, but coupled up to 5.1 diffs and

750x16`s id expect it to struggle at anythng below 25 in top.

the rusty bearing theory has me worried.

ive got a good trnsfere box off another series 3 would this mate up to the series 2a box? and how time consuming is doing this swap.

andy

Reply to
Andy

5.1 diffs? or 4.1 diffs?
Reply to
EMB

rangey diff and an early defender, but there both the same 5.1 i think, the series ones were 4.7 , is this correct? im sure it is.

just had a thought,

when i replaced the bellhousing on the series2a box with the one off a series3, i did notice there was a lot of ( excuse the technical jargon ) upy and downy movement in the input shaft to the gearbox, no in and out movement. the up and down movement got me a bit worried, but i thought that once its in its sleeve and in the spigot bearing it wont matter that much.

maybe id be better getting another box,.........

andy

Reply to
Andy

Standard Series is 4.7 and you should have 3.54 diffs.

Reply to
EMB

ooopps, sorry, been a long day.

your right, ive got 3.54 ( i knew there was a 5 in it somewhere)

Reply to
Andy

On my 2a with the standard diffs, 25mph would be towards the lower range for 4th gear (without overdrive) before the engine would vibrate under load. Engine is 2.5 diesel from sherpa. FWIW, 35 is the realistic lower for overdrive 4th before there is no power/vibration under load.

Terry Series IIa

Reply to
terry

Also, see my other post, I am on 7.50x16 tyres too.

Terry Series IIa

Reply to
terry

My IIa 109" with 2.25 petrol, 7.50 tyres ( incidentally the ratio is

4.7:1, not 5:1) pulls happily in 4th gear at 15mph. And the engine is dodgy as well.

The selector rods on the transfer box do get stuck if not used, however, the most common fault is the 4wd dog cluch rod not moving. This has quite specific symptons: Usually it is impossible to engage low box without pressing the yellow button down first. The red lever should move quite freely with the yellow lever in the up position - if not you will have to take the xfer box out and sort out the selector rods in the front output shaft housing. It is not possible for the box to be in low gear without 4wd engaged, but if you have the above symptons then it is running in 4wd High all the time

Series gearboxes can be noisy at the best of times, more so if the gears are worn. You don't mention if it's a IIA or a III, the IIa boxes are slightly nosier in 1st anyway. To find out if it's stuck in

4wd, take it into a carpark and put the steering on full lock either directon, drive it forwards about 3 complete circles, the steering wheel should at some point be jerking, ie, momentarily fighting back against you, and then letting go again. If you're still not sure, park it up, chock one side's wheels, and jack the other side up, spinning either front or back wheels will tell you if it's in 4wd or not.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Well, if you have 3.54 diffs, plus a more modern, higher speed engine (not familiar with that one), then perhaps it is stuck in low range. Still easy to check if it does the same speed in first in high or low range. Only way I can see this happening is if the lever is not connected to the shifter rod or not connected to the pivot at the bottom end - or the fork is loose on the shifter rod. I suggest you drain the transfer case and remove the cover plate on the bottom so you can see what is going on. JD

Reply to
JD

China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing , manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in sm art kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-tran smission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunic ation and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different s izes. In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partne rs around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd URL:

Contact: Annie Liu Tel?+86-755-27322652 Fax?+86-755-27323949 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@zwgearbox.com Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao?an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China

Reply to
zwgearbox