Series III Starting Problem

Hi all. I hope some kind person will be able to assist me with my query. I have recently taken receipt of a 1983 swb diesel series III, been a bit temperamental when starting, turns over okay, battery good & fully charged via battery charger, new fuel filter & fuel primed okay & as of today a new set of heater plugs & leads, starting problem still no better also noticed that the cold start light on the dash is very dim only visible when I shroud out the day light. Any pointers please. Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Any User

How long are you heating the glow plugs?

Try around 30 seconds...literally.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi Lee. To be honest I'm heating for about 10 seconds, I'll give the 30 seconds method a try.

Reply to
Any User

Just tried the 30 second method & sorry to report no difference, even though it's pitch black outside the cold start light is just visible, is this normal? Thanks.

Reply to
Any User

It's a very encouraging sign that you've spent 7 minutes in the cold & dark on a Sunday night to try the suggestion straight away. I think you're going to make a great Land Rover owner!

David

Reply to
David French

What makes you think I spent 7 minutes in the cold & dark? I had to wait for the kettle to boil on my return back indoors before my post!!!

Reply to
Any User

and i think he has the appropriate sense of humour.

good luck any user!!

cheers.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Is the engine cranking fast enough? 2.25 Diesels will not stat (properly!) unless a reasonable cranking speed is achieved. If it's slow, clean up the connections on the earth straps - it can make a very great difference to starting.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Hi Richard. I would say that it is turning over fast enough to the point when the battery starts to die, I will give the connections on the earth straps a clean, much appreciated for your advise.

Reply to
Any User