Strange starting problem

Vauxhall Omega 2.0 CD 1998. Over the past week the cranking speed on start up has got slower and slower. Once running the ignition light extinguishes and with all electrics on (lights/heater/wipers/heated rear screen) everything holds up fine. My run to work is 18 miles so not a short journey. I figured from the above that the battery is knacked so tonight dropped into the local Halfords on the way home for a new battery. Guy offered to test battery first. His meter result was 'Good Battery', and suggested the problem was not the battery itself but the charging circuit. Said my thank-you, got in the car to drive home and it - just about - started. Made it home OK, so I thought battery getting flat, I'll recharge it overnight before taking it up the Garage tomorrow - Its a 10A charger - started charging at 8A and fell over the course of a few mins to 1A or less so obviously charger thinks battery fully charged. Measured battery volts

14.5V ???. Tried to crank engine - just about turned over and fired. Now I still think its a knacked battery with a high internal impedance - I don't know what tests the Halfords battery tester does - I would of thought it would err on the side of ' you need a new battery guv' --- anybody got any advice?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Try putting the headlights on with the engine off. If they stay bright then I'd be checking the main earths. If the lights die then it'd be worth getting the alternator tested before buying a new battery.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot