series one with s2a motor

i know i posted this question a few weeks ago, but we ended up having an "argument" over maintaining originality.

so could i ask again if anyone is aware of the difficulty involved in fitting an s2a motor into a series one. must the s2a transmission also be used??

any advice would be great. thanks.

sam.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

If you currently have a 1.6 or 2.0 IOE engine, the bellhousing is different. If you are upgrading to a 2.25 then you will need to change the gearbox as well, unless you fancy stripping the gearbox down and changing the bellhousing on your S1 box.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

so what is involved in transplanting a 2.25 s2a engine and gearbox into a series 1?? do engine mounts have to be modified?

cheers.

sam.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

I don't know about the engine mounts, I would say probably yes, they do. The gearbox mounts shouldn't need changing as the gearboxes are largely the same.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

good. thanks for that alex.

sam.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

I've only ever looked closely at one series 1 that had a later 2.25 engine in. I remember that the bonnet had a wierd lump in which turned out to be there so that you could close it, as with the new engine it was a bit taller and i think the dissy was too high. So you may have to modify your bonnet too. Not that this is a major mod compared to engine mounts :) Just thought i'd mention it!

Reply to
Tom Woods

mmm, ok. thanks for that tommo. i've seen a few pictures of the rolls-engined series ones, they also have bonnet mods. they have an insert down the bottom to keep the bonnet higher so there is also a gap between the bonnet and the grille. and the radiator cap sticks out of the bonnet. looks rather funny.

cheers.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor