Slightly OT temp Sender

HI
My Landy is going, however the temp sender on my 3ltr v6 essex motor seems to return a steady 0. I have tried to connect the sender wire to the block
as advised by a auto elec and that did indeed send the temp gauge full scale as he suggested it should, presumably meaning that the sender is at fault.
The problem is that I have recently replaced the sender so do I have a duff unit, and if so how do I tell I am getting a good one if I buy another. (I have a fluke and I am willing to use it.)
Regards Stephen
Fanie wrote:

You will have to use an LR sender unit - the Ford item will not work with a LR temp guage.
--
EMB