Slightly OT, this winters weather ?

I know, I know it's the English disease talking about weather. Trouble is for the last few years , no play as snow is pathetic up here in North Kent, so ....

read somewhere that this winter will be the hardest for a century; anybody heard this or am I imagining things ?

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

I heard the same too!

Reply to
Nige

I also heard this.

However, walking to work this afternoon, about 19degrees c, and im thinking err, what, calm before the storm, or just a load of old cobblers :)

In fact where I now live i've yet to see decent snow at all! Apparently it's coz wer'e in a local valley, more like too close to London so it just never gets cold enough!

Dan

Reply to
Connor T

Yeah, I heard this too. Which probably means it's going to be one of the mildest winters I've ever seen.

Cynical? Me? ;o)

Reply to
Pete Foster

Where in North Kent are you Hirsty's? We are near Maidstone and as I type we are having one hell of a storm. Lots of flashing and banging. Just come back from my parents house and had to drive through water about a foot deep on a main road. Glad we were in the Discovery, if we had gone in my wifes car could be a bit water logged! It was beautiful this afternoon, outside in short sleeves, was that the calm before the storm! Richard

Reply to
Richard

Where in North Kent are you Hirsty's? We are near Maidstone and as I type we are having one hell of a storm. Lots of flashing and banging. Just come back from my parents house and had to drive through water about a foot deep on a main road. Glad we were in the Discovery, if we had gone in my wifes car could be a bit water logged! It was beautiful this afternoon, outside in short sleeves, was that the calm before the storm! Richard

Reply to
Richard

Blimey, I could call you local - I'm in swanley

That was an interesting storm wasn't it!

Oh, and as for the winters weather, I think the quote was "the hardest this century" not "for a century" rather a big difference methinks

Si

Reply to
Si K

Bexleyheath; just a little drizzle. Not enough to soak the little yobs standing on the corners yet. :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

I was trying to be optimistic. On a serious note though I got the immpression that the comment was intended to include the last 100 years,

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:13:29 +0100, "Si K" enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. hardest winter for 4 years, then. wot rot.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just remember a year ago...

..5mm of snow is enough to grind us to 4 day halt - hope you've got your winter muddies fitted!

BTW Which is best in the winter, muddies or mud and snow?

cheers

Mark HH

Reply to
mark hh

bar grips, for the extra frisson of terror.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

mmm, you got them there too ?

Reply to
Richard

On or around Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:46:00 +0100, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

well the last time we had snow mine was an Nankang ATs, (wide conks).

my disco is currently on Pirelli STs, mother(not Martyn)'s is on BFG ATs.

Actually, snow tyres are more like ATs or even STs or GT4s or the like, with lots of small blocks rather than a few bigguns.

I imagine the michelin one which is all little square blocks would be quite good, I forget which that is. But the Pirelli ST is something similar.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hardest winter this century?.....bah....humbug!

Last real winter I saw was about 10 years ago and we actually had a bout a foot of snow here in SE Essex, bugger all since........

And what did we have last winter??? about 2" snow that lasted for two days and as per a previous post, the whole country ground to a stand still.

What happened to the real winters we had 20-30 years ago, when was the last time anyone went tabogganing in se England????

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

Twas Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:46:35 +0100 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

I used to take land rovers into the rough country in bosnia, they know a thing or two about snow there. I personally preferred narrow(ish) mud tyres as they would cut into the snow and give better traction (or even grip) whereas wider tyres and/or tyres with a less aggressive tread would be more likely to ride atop the snow, which has uses in some places.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:53:36 GMT, "Alun P" enlightened us thusly:

dunno. the last *proper* snow we had was in about 1981 or 1982.

's global warming, innit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It depends where you are/were. About 10 years ago where I was in Scotland endured almost 3 weeks of sub-zero at the back end of December, the coldest bit getting down to -24°C at night. I went out with my video camera one day (after the ploughs had made holes big enough to drive the main road - yes, holes!!) and got pictures of the rather impressive snow and drifts. RangeRover 3.5 Vogue EFi back then on standard 205/16's. No problemo. This was on the east coast near Aberdeen mind, not up some pokey little mountain track! I also video'd my outside wall thermometer on the house. The time was 1245 pm (so just after maximum sun heating) and the thermometer is clearly down at -12°C. This was actually a couple of days after the coldest bit, so I don't know how that compared. Dunno about the last 3 winters cos I don't live up there any more, but that was the last *real* winter we had whilst I was there. It's cow farts, innit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

These are the people who correctly predicted that this summer would be a bit of a washout. Of course that could have just been a lucky guess...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

So Paul Everett was, like

Brilliant site - now in my favourites, thanks. However, it gives (at 12:00 Saturday) 8-12mph winds, some rain and 100% cloud for Pembrokeshire. As I look out of the window at 12:20, it's calm and dry with bright sunshine. Can't have everything, I spose.

Reply to
Richard Brookman