Small crane

I now have to get a reasonably light but bulky wheelchair in and out of the back of my Defender.

So I ring up a supplier of small cranes designed for such purposes.

Me: "Do you make these things, 40Kg lift capacity"

Then: "Yes Sir"

Me: "Can you sell me on please?"

Then: "No sir, we have to fit it ourselves"

Me: "Why, it's only simple?"

Them: "Health and Safety sir, you might sue us if you fitted it incorrectly and someone was injured"

Me: "That's rubbish, the Health and Safety regs state that if I fit it and it goes wrong it's my fault, besides, it isn't rocket science, it's a winch.

Them: "Well sir there's two day course to learn how to fit them, they are wired direct to the battery you know"

Me: "It's a Land Rover Defender, there's a special fuseway for a winch."

Them "Well we won't sell you one anyway.

Me: "OK, what'll it cost for you to fit it?"

Them: "Six hundred quid, you bring your car to us, no loan car, it'll take all day, take it or leave it."

Me: Faints dead away...

Anyone know where I can buy one, or something like one?

Reply to
William Black

Try asking the people that sell the Wheelchairs, they must know of a supplier because I'm sure you aren't the first person in that predicament. There are "cranes" to put bicycles on the top of cars, something similar might work, don't know the weight capacity of those.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

The people who sell wheelchairs seem to agree with the people selling the hoists.

I can't find anything about the bike cranes.

Do you have a web page?

Reply to
William Black

That`s quite a common item on ebay.Do a search for wheelchair.

Reply to
mark

Snipped unreal, but entirely not unexpected discourse ...

Could you modify an engine hoist maybe, with a small hand-winch, possibly hooked up to a motor etc?

Maybe ebay 220348637319 and 400074004246 and 260521411251

or similar ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

In fact, perusing ebay .. 130352025196 .. should 'do it all' .. ;)

If you need it collecting it's only a few miles from me ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

William,

Also have a look at boat deck accessories. They have a hoist for hoisting small outboards.

Molesworth

Already on my 'watch' list.

I'll nip across and get it if I win it, I'm only in Scarborough.

Reply to
William Black

Now that's an idea...

Reply to
William Black

No worries, didn't know where you were ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Just read the above post. I use an electric hoist made by Brig Ayd. It has been fitted into the back of my Rangie, a p38 but before that I had it in my

1994 disco, 'Edie'. The only thing that had to be done was extending the lift boom by about a foot to clear the tail gate. The hoist uses electric motors to move in and out and up and down. It lifts my disabled scooter into the car no trouble. Lifting cap is 100Kg.

This is the sort of thing I use. eBay item number 160386945132. Brand new they are very expensive but I got mine for £250 three years back.

Reply to
cyberwraith