Snow Chains

Two questions, if I may:-

(1) should I have two or four chains on a P38 Range Rover; if the former, on which axle?

(2) can anyone recommend particular makes of chain, and supplier? The tyre size is 235/70 R16.

Many thanks,

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

...and Stephen Mawson spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I *think* the wisdom is to have all 4 ideally, and if you only have two, put them on the back wheels. The logic is that in extremely slippery conditions, with chains on only one axle, you may have effectively no grip on one axle and a massive amount on the other. With the chains on the front, you risk spinning out of control on a downhill as there is nothing to stop the rear overtaking the front. With chains on the back, the worst that can happen is to lose steering going up a hill and push the front into a hedge.

No, never owned any, so take the above comment with that in mind.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply about which axle to put them on. Does anyone have any recommendations for brands/suppliers of snow chains?

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson