So many Jettas - so few Golfs

I'm in the market for a pre-owned VW and I'm really interested in a Golf. I currently have two Cabriolets (an '89 and a '90) that I love but I drive over 100 miles every day and I'd like something a little newer! Definitely plan to keep one of the Cabriolets, though - for summer weekends!

Anyway... every day driving to work I see at least a dozen Jettas, maybe more. Over the same road I see maybe one Golf and a wagon if I'm lucky. Why? Jettas are ok but I'd really prefer a hatchback. Heck I'd buy a Rabbit is they still made them.

Is there something that makes the Jetta much better than a Golf? Or is it a regional thing? (I'm in the Northeast). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Allynn

Reply to
Allynn Wilkinson

Hatchbacks are out of style in the US and Canada now, in the 1980's and early 90's they were more popular.

In Europe hatchbacks are the most common type of car today and its just the opposite. Golfs outsell Jetta's (or Bora's or Vento's as they are called there) by about 10 to 1.

Tom L.

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Well Golf's are even less popular in the USA then they are here in Canada. In fact we have a low end Golf CL (stripped model, only A/C and an AM/FM radio (with cassette... but who really uses these)... At least it has every safety feature a normal Golf has). You still see more Jetta's, but Golfs aren't really rare... You can get more money for them used though, so there is enough of a difference. Smaller cheaper cars are still popular here due to the fact we have less disposable income, and 5 doors (hatches and small wagons) are making a comeback. Also you take note of the amount of TDI diesels VW is selling here... I'd say 2/3 of Golf's and 1/2 of Jetta's are TDI models!

Most people seem to like Golfs, but they just find that the Jetta looks better... and it's not that much more money.

VWoA is launching the Jetta first, and they are showing it in Los Angeles, what does that tell you about the popularity?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The Rabbit was the first-generation Golf y'know.

And they do still make them under the name CitiGolf:

But good luck ever getting one in the US...it'd be nearly impossible, or financially silly at the very least.

Reply to
Matt B.

Glad to see they still make them SOMEWHERE! Love the design. Karmann - Isn't it? My burgundy '83 was an all time favorite. I paid $500 for it and I sold it for $500 5 years later (having put about $500 into it!).

Ah well.. definitely gonna get me Golf... somehow

AW

Reply to
Allynn Wilkinson

The A1 Golf was styled by Giorgetto Guigiaro in Italy, the convertible was built by Karmann, perhaps this is where you drew the name from.

Try Autotrader, are you looking for an A4 Golf or something older?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

That's interesting -- a blend of the 1st and 2nd generation cars. It's got the '75-'84 back end, and the '85 front end, slightly modified.

Reply to
Brian Running

Yes the original CitiGolf (1984 when the Mk2 Golf came around) retained the Golf Mk1 looks exactly but eventually got the updated front end that looks a little Mk2-ish. They also resurrected the Jetta Mk1 tooling and started producing it again under the Fox nameplate (no relation to our VW Fox that came out of Brazil) for a while. They eventually killed that for good but the CitiGolf still trudges onwards. The instrument panel even stayed the same until the past year or two where now it looks like it was lifted out of a Euro Polo or something.

Reply to
Matt B.

Tom Levigne sloeg het volgende aan.

| Indeed hatchbacks are more popular in the EU and more handy to move stuff ,sofa washingmachine folt the rear seat and toss it in. thats why i bought a Mk 4 golf variant, not a Bora. the amount golf /bora is actualy 7 to 3.

Reply to
Yoda