Why are so many Beetles missing bumpers?

Just wondering.

Reply to
james_anatidae

I would guess rust, or maybe being dented and just taken off and never replaced. It's possible that because the are so easy to take off when compared to other vehicles, people just did it and liked the look.

There was also the Cal Look movement where they were replaced by Nerf bars.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Depends on where you live. It's a fashion in many areas, and in some states a bumper is required by law or just plain common sense. Of course there's the fact that many aftermarket bumpers are as flimsey as tin foil and rust away in a year... kinda discouraging.

Reply to
jjs

..................I took them off of my '77 because it looks better without them and they aren't very functional anyway. I'd rather replaced a crumpled apron than try to deal with the more extensive structural problems that result when the bumper mounts get pushed back causing major structural distortions beyond the apron.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Are you serious?

Sheesh. I don't need any further encouragement to remove my bumpers, although they are so flimsey that I can literally twist them almost 180 degrees with my hand.

Reply to
jjs

.........yes

................Go for it John!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

That is step #1. Step 2: Trim rear fenders slightly for extra clearance... Let me know when you are ready for step 3... :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

............uh.........step one is REVERSIBLE !!!!.............hello?

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Go to my site and Click the T-4 manual Check out my SLICED BUMPERS They were stock 74 with the shocks and I sliced each one twice and then put then back together. More car is shown, stronger, and same protection as a stock car. Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

So is cutting fenders.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

So is step 3 with a *lot* of work. ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

On Thu, 13 May 2004 15:15:38 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

so is step 2-5.....and not that hard to do...you *will* see when you realize that your "reasoning" for the no bumper look is flawed...replace a crumpled apron than try to deal with the more extensive structural problems that result when the bumper mounts get pushed back causing major structural distortions beyond the apron."...you DO realize that the bumper mounts on most beetles are just inboard of the apron right? the flimsy light steel apron? the one that if hit with the force that it would take to cause the scenario you described, would result in the same damage?...not that it matters, clipping a bug is childsplay... some here may remember me mentioning last july when my bug was rear ended lightly...a bumper would have taken the impact(car behind took off before the light turned...) and probably resulted in nothing more than a scratched or slightly bent bumper....instead since i don't run bumpers either i get to replace the apron(inner and outer), do some body repair to the lower rear part of the rear fenders, replace the badly creased decklid, replace or repair the rear engine tin, and then of course it will need paint....hmm...maybe i should run bumpers?

JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

.....................This must be one of those matters of opinion that you've mentioned in the past. I don't have any facts on this question, just my opinion. If it had the earlier pre-68 style bumpers, my '77 would probably still have bumpers. I just don't like those big square shaped ones. I shaved off the turn signals and installed those low-flat profile tail lights for the same reason. My bug isn't show material by a long shot but at least, now when I look at it, I like what I see. I guess it's all about me, something for me that I like. That's why I don't let any family member drive it without me riding along..... IT'S MINE......ALL MINE!

timmy

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

*grin* Confession is good for the soul.
Reply to
Shaggie

"My Precious."

I think Tim, you're a closet Baja'er. Quietly shaving the=20 bumbers, modifying tail lights, installing shiny muffler tips. Next he'll deny it.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I think Tim, you're a closet Baja'er. Quietly shaving the bumbers, modifying tail lights, installing shiny muffler tips. Next he'll deny it.

....................But I think that bajas are FATT BUTT UGLY !...........lol

...........To each his own and it's especially nice if a 40 year old vintage car whatever it is is left largely unmolested. Nobody wants to have to search for all the right parts for their new aqusition. That's why a vintage car that's complete and original almost always gets a better price for the seller than any kind of custom. The more radical the changes, the less desirable it's likely to be to potential buyers.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Ha! I got TONS of MREs for mine. :-D

Reply to
Shaggie

On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:23:00 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

now *that* is agood reason.......mine is FAR from show material...(so far in fact, that.....) but i too like the looks of a vw without bumpers... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:20:27 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

nah..usually the potential buyers of custom cars are those that like custom cars...but on the flip side, the custom guys *do* look for those stockers.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:20:27 -0400, "Tim Rogers" scribbled this interesting note:

This is not absolutely true. There are some very radical hot-rods out there that command prices far and away above what any original version of the same car will command...

John Willis