Sqeaks after rain !!

Hi folks, anybody in their infinite knowledge base have any idea why my

300 Tdi '98 sqeals after rain/ damp night but not in the warm. I have a strong hunch it is the W pump but would it not squeal all the time ???

Tia John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

In news:NRQad.100$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net, Hirsty's blithered:

Could easily be the alternator belt. They're very good at squealing when the alternator is delivering a high charge, like when headlights, wipers and heater fan (and maybe rear demister) are on when you first start off.

Reply to
GbH

Sounds to me like the infamous 300Tdi fan belt squeal. There are various so called cures but it will most likely persist. Strangely enough mines been quiet for some time now.

You could try changing the belt tensioner pulley bearing as it may be worn and putting the pulley out of alignment. Others have suggested changing the belt for a known good brand one. Some people have had success by using some emery and removing the glaze from the tensioner pulley.

I just ignored mine and like I say it's been quiet for a while. After driving a ford it makes the odd chirping noise but soon shuts up.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Possibly the serpentine belt or the the bearing in tensioner.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

"Hirsty's" wrote in news:NRQad.100$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net:

Squirt some water on the alternator belt. If the squeak goes away, you've found the source. Then do a Google to try some of the very many "cures"!

A technician at a fan belt manufacturers suggested it was glaze on the belt and tensioner pulley. The effect is the same as drawing your finger down a damp window -- or chalk on the school black board.

Can be removed by glueing some emery paper to small piece of wood and rubbing the tensioner pulley with the engine running. Also a good way to lose a finger or two.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Thanks all, it seems I am in for many squeaks as they are predicting the hardest winter this century !!

Reply to
Hirsty's