starter motor again.

Hi all,

200tdi defender symptoms: the starter is not engaging on first attempt to turn over.

It'll spin just fine but grinds as it's not fully engaged. It normally engages on the second attempt although this is getting worse. This morning it didn't engage till the 4th attempt. I am worried now about taking chunks out of the flywheel. :-(

I've got twin batteries which seem fine. The starter is getting a 12v, as is the solenoid.

I've had the starter out and cleaned the solenoid and the pinion mechanism. I found a very small amout of grease on the pinion but removing this has not cured the problem. The solenoid seemed to throw the pinion out just fine on the bench when 12v was applied to it.

I haven't tried bypassing the ignition switch yet. I plan on applying 12v directly to the solenoid and seeing what happens.

Failing this is there any point on stripping the starter completely and cleaning it? If the motor brushes are gunged up, would this affect the voltage getting to the solenoid and stop it throwing the pinion out fully?

Not stripped a starter before and I don't have a vice but have some basic tools, circlip pliers etc and am happy to spend the weekend taking it to bits on the living room floor, although I may regret having said that!

Anything to look out for? Any other ideas?

I guess if I make a complete mess of it, I can get a new one from paddocks! :-|

Cheers all, G

Reply to
Gromit

Possibly a daft question: are you using both batteries to power the starter?

Reply to
PDannyD

Yup.

Gromit

It doesn't apply to all starters, but I had a problem with the same symptoms - almost like the it wasn't being thrown out enough. Sure enough, the star washer on the rear was worn and had slipped, allowing the whole shaft to go out of alignment. All for a 2p part.

--

swap ? in email address for me

Reply to
danny

If it's a normal starter motor then just use one battery.

I think the pinion is spinning too fast before it engages with the ring gear.

Reply to
PDannyD

Two batteries coupled to a starter motor will make sod all difference (as long as they are the same voltage, connected in parallel, (not series!!!) and are both equally well charged and of sufficient capacity).

I have got a marine switch on my Defender 90 and it turns over just the same if I have the main battery, the small auxiliary battery or both in the cct.

The only reason a starter motor (assuming it's a bendix geared one) will spin too fast and not engage is a problem with the bendix, such as: - rust on the splines. worn splines (allowing it to go askew) broken spring (jamming it up) etc.

This used to happen to me regularly after a good dose of wading. I used to cure it by fitting a new bendix gear assembly, last time I bought some they were £25 a throw (from AE Smith Electrical, on the Talbot roundabout, A414 in Essex).

Andy

Reply to
Andy Wells