static zapped the wife!

my wife keeps getting a little static zap from the door when she gets out, I think it may be just that door or maybe it's because she usually gets out before me (shame that heheheh).. ahem. anyway, assuming it's just the door I imagine it's a case of making sure it's earthed to the rest of the body. but if it's the whole body that's holding a bit of static charge then how do I deal with it? what causes it? it's a fairly recent quirk but I can't think what has changed that may cause it.

your thoughts ladies and gentlemen please, before it starts zapping me too.

PS, maybe it heard me mention the possibility of getting a disco that upset it.... jealous things land rovers...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

johnty

So johnty was, like

Or just don't let her out.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Trade the wife in for a non-conductive model? :-)

Reply to
EMB

Not politically correct but a good seeing-to usually sorts them out and is less bother than trading in.

Only kidding GDARFC.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:56:56 -0500, "jamsan" enlightened us thusly:

make sure you hold a bare metal bit of the body (door latch plate is good) as you get out until you're standing on the ground.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tell her stop wearing nylon knickers.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, MVP blithered:

What you need is a resistive pad attatched to whatever she has hold of when she gets zapped, that'll reduce the discharge to a more comfortable level. Many vehicles where zapping is prevelent have such pads on the door pulls and the like.

Reply to
GbH

I have the same problem at work thanks to the cheap NHS blankets we carry on the vehicle. I find that if I touch my ring to something metal, it earths through that and doesn't hurt as the ring is tight against my finger.

Detrious

I obviously meant the ring on my finger.......

Reply to
Detrious

Reply to
jamsan

MVP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm amazed no one has mentioned those little earthing strips so many cars used to have hanging down the back. Must be changing fashion as now I think about it I haven't seen one in a while. Now I shall be strip spotting all day!

I've even seen a lorry dragging a light chain! If it's just the door, it would be easy enough to earth it to the rest of the vehicle with a piece of wire and a couple of self-tappers.

I can appreciate the problem. Mine is taking off my Marks & Spencers dressing gown before switching off the bedroom light. If I get it in the wrong order, there is an audible zap! Ouch!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

On or around 11 Mar 2005 06:07:46 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

but nearly all of them don't work, on account of not touching the floor :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

LMAO, oooo that brought up all kind of odd poses to mind...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

It was happening just before the new tyres, infact the only change prior to the zapping was the timing belt, water pump and aux belts.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

I'll (get her to) try that...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

Definitely works.

I used to have a Xantia estate that was bad for this, holding onto the door frame as you put your feet on the floor stopped it.

Fine as long as you remembered...

Reply to
Simon Barr

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, MVP blithered:

I suspect that will guarantee to give her a zap! However you should then be OK.

Reply to
GbH

Howd yer do it ? Might improve mine driving the 110 !!

Reply to
Hirsty's

I get static problems all the time at work on various lifts and Escaltors. Seems to be worse in the summer, and certain shops as well. One site had big problems and the only way round it was to paint all the lift buttons with clear nail varnish, worked a treat!.

As for the static zapping LR, my van does this to me and I cannot stop it, 'spose i just got used to it now or maybe i should wear rubber gloves all the time........

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J