Strange noise, Defender 90 TD

Hi!

My wifes Defender 90 2.5TD started making some strange sounds; it is a kind of tapping/rattling/vibration about twice per second when no gear is angaged and/or the clutch is pressed, and when rolling to stop in front of traffic lights or so. It starts at around 5km/h, but never at higher speeds, and never while accelerating or normal driving. Until now I coould not find out if it comes from the rear or from the front :(

Any ideas what this could be?

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

This sounds like the good old binding transmission brake symptoms again, the rattling/vibration occurs when the shoes snatch at the drum at lower speeds (always seems to be below 5mph in my experience) This causes the slack in the transferbox and front prop/diff to oscillate or rattle. Check handbrake linkage isn't ceasing and check expander in transmission brake is free & greased, it can also happen if mud had got in the drum.

Hope this helps, Fergus

Reply to
fergus.kendall

Yes, sounds sensible. We hat a trip of 140km today (just came back home), and it just happened one or two times after we had started, it did not come back yet. This also made me think about the brakes. So at least it is nothing to worry too much, and we can check what you had suggested without the urge to do it immediately. Thank you very much!

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

If not the handbrake, could the noise be coming from a worn clutch throwout bearing? Just a thought. Brake would obviously be a simpler repair, so hopefully that's all that's making that noise. Cheers.

Reply to
robert.st-louis