Stuck clutch

I have a SIII 109 with a V8 which is waiting for restoration. Started her up for the first time in 13 months but she won't declutch. Where do I start?

(a year ago I think the clutch was starting to drag...)

Reply to
jeremy bloomfield

The drive plate and other parts may have stuck to each other. It's common when a vehicle isn't used for a while, especially in a damp climate.

Check the clutch operating lever on the bellhousing is moving or trying to move when you press the clutch.

If not, check the hydraulic fluid levels, and that the clutch doesn't need bleeding.

If it does, the next step is to chock it with the handbrake on, put it in a high gear, press the clutch and try to start it.

After that, it gets a bit more drastic. :-(

Reply to
John Williamson

My "project" Series III suffers from the same neglect. The clutch was also stuck when I jumped in. The pedal was solid, could not be pressed down but strangely was stuck in the disengaged position (it did not jump when started in gear).

My problem was a corroded slave cylinder. Water had got into it, the piston had moved forward and stuck on the rust then not returned. The hydraulics had pumped up behind the stuck piston and caused the pedal to go solid.

Something worth considering when going through the list of possibles.

DavidM

Reply to
DavidM