stumpy auto gearboxes......bear with me on this one

I can't remember if I've mentioned it to you lot before but I am at the early planning stage for an 80" trialler.

I started off with the idea of using a 200tdi disco that i precured as a base, using the diesel engine and a manual box. However, after months of thinking about it i want to go back to a V8, they've served me well in the past and despite a couple of issues with the last one I think that I would miss the noise aswell as the 'zip'

Further work with the tape measure in the garage shows that putting three pedals in the footwell is going to be too much of a sqeeze so auto it's going to have to be.

so far then i have V8 + Auto = 80".........

Here are the options that i know about, and are based on research and not on any actual experience, so i would be grateful to hear from anyone that has.

Here are my options as I see them

1.) get a donor range rover and use the v8 and ZF HP22. pros of this are that it all comes in one package and i don;t even have to split anything, and that they're easy to come by. Con is that i would only have a 12" rear propshaft which is no good to me.

2.) V8 and find a Borg Warner type 66 and series transfer box. Main pro of this is that this is a super short combination. Cons, can't seem to find a BW box despite them being fitted to loads of cars in the 70s and 80s. Also i think you need a V8 bellhousing. ALSO, the Ashcroft adapter to fit the tbox to the auto box is no longer made, or as Ashcroft put in a lovely lengthy email to me "we dont do that anymore", that was it!!

3.) Torqueflite 3 speed, ala early range rover. Pro's seem to be availability (tho I cant find one yet!) and strength. Cons are in my head only at the moment as I dont know how long they are, and what tbox i would mate it to. I seem to think that an 80" in my club has this set up and the rear prop is tiny so is it that short at all?

Pick the bones out of that lot!!!

This is starting to keep me awake at night (inbetween feeding 3 week old which can't be healthy!)

Any opinions, constructive or otherwise??!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Percy was option 2 with the Jag lump , later with the V8. I think you would be pushing your luck as it's still lengthy. I had a shortened rear prop... then again I was also using a sailsbury rear axle from a Stage 1 as well.

There is a Jag breakers yard with hundreds of old jags at Oswestry that I once went to. You will get a box there. I actually gave 1 away with Percy! The V8 bell housing is obviously found on the SD1 rover version which were also rather like rocking horse do do... I got 2 which were both given away with percy along with 2 V8's!

I'm clearly too generous or you're too late! ;-)

Reply to
Lee_D

how long ago was that?

i'm glad you told me, but wish u hadn't!

Reply to
Dave R

Same length give or take a few mm as the ZF, mates to an LT230. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

arse. thats that idea gone for a burton then!

Reply to
Dave R

Heh, I'm in the process of putting another ZF into my Rangie. Unless someone wants to swap it for a Torqueflight...

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:58:29 -0700 (PDT), Dave R enlightened us thusly:

The BW transfer box is about 2" shorter between flanges.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Too late, the thing is finally in.

Reply to
Pete M

nice use of the word "flanges", thats cheered me up no end............

Reply to
Dave R

Don't forget to moisten them with lubrication before mating.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

April last. :-(

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I suppose we should be grateful that the subject did not include landing large aircraft..................... Derek

Reply to
Derek