Swivel Housing Grease.

What's the general opinion on the "fit and forget" swivel housing grease?

I'm a bit dubious about it's ability to properly lubricate the hub bearings and the top swivel pin, a collegue of mine who used to be a design engineer at LR told me in his opinion I should stick to whatever was specified by the origional designer... ie. oil.

Any horror stories? Until I hear different I'm sticking (ha ha) to oil. Cheers, Sam

Reply to
Sam Clayton

Hmm........... I am interested in this as well. I have read many accounts of 'one shot' grease but not sure how it applies/works/is effective !!

My Ex Military D90 has leather 'boots' that cover the swivels (not sure if this is standard) and no 'drain plug' as per Mr/Mrs Haines and his/her manuals (Equal Ops) .......... just a fill plug jobbie thing.

I topped mine up recently with EP80 but later (4 months) noticed one side is 'lubricated' (near side) I would not say leaking, just 'lubricated' the other side Buy as a Drone ............ MOT due next month.

My philosophy ......... if it don't work don't fix it properly till it breaks???

So Oil or Grease or don't bother for 20 years .........

Reply to
AndWhyNot

Been debated here at length numerous times. Do a Google Groups search from

and you'll find itall.

whatever

Its not like "ordinary" grease - its designed to go runny when its stirred (thixothropic iirc) - that means it works like oil!

See above and also

Swivels aren't an MoT pass/fail.

Good philosophy!

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

In message , Mike Buckley writes

depends how much they're leaking ... MOT tester with EP90 dripping down his neck is not a happy MOT tester :-)

Not really - means I constantly fix things!

Reply to
AndyG

-snip-

Not according to my MOT station. They failed them on leakage, contrary to the various postings here about people arguing whether they were similar or not to CV joints with regards to MOT tests. I went away, wiped them dry and they passed later anyway.

Reply to
danny

Clean - Landrover - Wash .......... do these words belong together :-)

Reply to
AndWhyNot

The original designer is Landrover who also sell the one shots........

I assume the stuff they sell is CV grease so you can just buy a big tub cheap at the motor factors??

Pete

Reply to
Peter Goodrum

If the oil is leaking near or on to your front brake discs [front brake drums are usually too far away], then this would be of concern to an MOT tester.

--> Greg

Reply to
grege

On or around Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:42:39 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Buckley" enlightened us thusly:

The more modern ones, however, have CV joints inside.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

mixed with ep90

Reply to