Swivel pin grease - 98 Disco

HI all,

I've got a 98 disco series 1, and I'm unsure if the front swivel pins (I THINK that's what theyre called?) have the 'special' landrover grease in them.... So.... I went and paid $48 for two little plastic bags of this grease and now have a little problem... How do I get it into the right place?

Thanks Pauly

Reply to
Pauly

On or around Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:07:41 +1000, "Pauly" enlightened us thusly:

first of all, make sure it's not already got the grease in, and if so, try for a refund. The grease is supposed to be a "fit and forget" solution, and in any case you'll not get it all out without a strip-down.

Assuming the swivels have oil in them, or have been stripped and cleaned, proceed as follows:

Take the front wheel off, having jacked under the axle. Observe, on the swivel housing, a drain plug (at the bottom) and a filler/level plug (near the top, I think normally on the front of the housing.

Turn the steering so that the front of the housing sticks out. Remove the drain plug and the filler/level plug, and drain the oil into a suitable pan.

While this is draining, get a bucket of hot water and put the unopened grease sachets in it to get warm.

Once the oil has drained, I tend to think it doesn't hurt to spray WD40 or somesuch into the housing and let it run out the bottom, it might take some crud with it that you'd rather wasn't in there. when as much stuff has drained out of the housing as will do so, put the drain plug back in.

By turning the steering you've moved the filler hole away from the inner part of the swivel, so that it doesn't obstruct the hole. If you haven't turned the steering, the inner swivel is visible through the hole and stops you getting the grease in...

cut the pointy end of the grease sachet off leaving a fairly small hole, so you can poke the pointy bit into the housing, and squeeze the grease into the housing, then replace the filler plug. Most of the sachet should go in, but it doesn't matter if there's a little bit left over.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Fantastic..

Thanks for that Austin, That's really helped. The tip about turning the wheel to stop the obstruction is pure gold.

When I (eventually) get the car in the garage again, I'll let you know how it goes.

REgards Pauly

Reply to
Pauly

Also, the swivels are coated in tufnol (I think) and are dark grey in appearance - this will tell you that LR filled the housings with grease.

Alistiar

Reply to
Alistair

In news:ch4nke$t5r$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, Alistair blithered:

Doubt it, Tufnol is a resin bonded cloth, quite unsuitable for coating anything. Maybe your thinking of Teflon, wonder low friction coating material beloved of frying pans.

Reply to
GbH

Yeah you may have a point there, I know its some kind of low friction coating. Wonder how long they last? I mean, if they did then LR would be making a huge loss on replacement swivels.....

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair