Tappet replacement cost on 96 3.9 V8

Got a noisy tappet on my 96 V8 ES - just the one by the sound of it ( Cylinder closest to the steering wheel - if that makes sense!!) how much should I be looking at to replace em all ? aren't the bout £3 each ?

are they a possible DIY job - I'm no mechanic!! electronics fine medical instruments fine - but a 3.9 V8 ?

Many thanks in advance

Reply to
StaffBull

Have a gander at one of the many websites & you'll soon see it's not a hard job. It might not even be a tappet thats knackered. It may even be the camshaft, as you're in there you may as well just replace the whole lot I reckon.

Last RRC I had was like this, sold it before i could be arsed to fix it.

I'm sure that some bloke who knows miles more than me will be here soon to correct my bollocks!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"Christ's fat c*ck"

Reply to
Nige

On or around Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:37:41 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

job. It might not even be a

as well just replace the

correct my bollocks!

hehe.

not far off.

noisy tappet is more likely to be a symptom of a worn cam, unless of course it's a damaged rocker.

basically, once things start wearing, you'll find the cam and the rocker shafts go first.

Check your exhaust manifolds though - I've known a small leak in a manifold-head joint sound just like a buggered tappet.

as to changing 'em... well...

remove:

radiator/grille Plenum and throttle body rocker covers inlet manifold valley gasket, front cover (timing cover), timing chain and sprockets/gears, rocker shafts, pushrods, tappets (valve followers) camshaft.

replace:

camshaft followers/tappets pushrods rocker shafts (making sure the pushrods all locate correctly both ends) timing gears and chain, getting the timing right as you do it front cover valley gasket inlet manifold rocker covers plenum and throttle body. radiator

nothing very hard about it, 's an easy engine to work on. Just be careful not to drop small parts down into the sump.

Not worth doing followers and not the cam, not a good idea to replace rocker shafts and not rockers, although you can get away with it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
StaffBull

On or around Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:15:37 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

would tend to be, yeah.

trouble with noises on usenet, it's diffcult to hear 'em.

try pulling the rocker covers and seeing if there's any obvious movement in any of the rockers.

Reply to
Austin Shackles