TD5 90 Fuel Consumprion

Anyone running a TD5 90 daily who could give me an idea of what fuel consumption to expect? I am reckoning around 25-30mpg, am I being too optimistic given the garden shed aerodynamics :-)

Andy - in need of a new landie!

Reply to
Andy

Sorry, dumb typo, should of course have said consumption!!!

Reply to
Andy

Interesting question, according to the small print in the used car section of LROI fuel consumption is actually WORSE than in the older Tdi engines. Is this for real?

Also, how would TD5 90 and 110 owners rate their vehicles for day to day use? I'm looking at getting one which will be used for high business mileage on UK roads, how comfortable / uncomfortable, good / bad an experience is it likely to be? I've spent the last couple of years driving lesser mileage in a 300tdi 90, which was surprisingly ok, but have to change the car for a more recent one. I've spent the last few days looking at Disco IIs and they just leave me absolutely completely cold; boring, plastic, tinny... I just sit in them and think fistly that the seat is too low and secondly that Land Rover have lost the plot (ok, lots of people like them, I know). And nobody waves at you when you drive a disco. Guess I'm looking at up to about £16k and maybe 30,000 - 40,000 miles already on the clock. Anyone got an R or S reg 110 Tdi County with delivery mileage on the clock they want to part with? :o)

McBad

Yep - that's what emissions regs do for the environment. Nice one Greenies!

Perhaps a bit quieter, but there's no fundemantal difference between

300Tdi and Td5 Defenders, you just swap a bit of low end troque for high end power.

Well, while they are very popular, there's many think as you do too.

Not unnatainable, but not easy either!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I got very slightly better fuel consumption (25.6mpg) overall out of a Tdi

200 110 than my current TD5 (25.4mpg). The big difference is towing : the TD5 plummets to about 20 or 21 mpg, while the Tdi still seemed to get 25 or so.
Reply to
Iain Street

Its strange that what you quote is not much better than I used to get from my old 110 TD, I suppose what has happened is that they have kept increasing the engine power, which tends to eat fuel if you use it.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

I have a d2, it does have it's faults, but it's a hell of a lot more civilised than the Defender. I live with it day to day & it is a cracking car & now the new seatbelt laws are in place, the only 7 seater Land Rover you can get with all full belts. A must for me. On a recent trip to Scotland it averaged 32 mpg, round town i get 23-26 & a real average would be around 28mpg & mines an auto.

I love Defenders BTW, but for daily use, the D2 wins hands down.

Reply to
Nige

And weight too. There's a saying involving free lunches IIRC. If an engine can produce more BHP then it needs the fuel to do so, legislation may have 'cleaned up' the exhaust to some extent. But the technology hasn't improved SFC to any extent.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

The old TD is not in the same league as 200/300tdi in any respect.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Actually I would have thought the 200/300TDis are closer to the TD than they are to the TD5. They are both 4 cylinder, 2.5 litre turbo diesels. They both have mechanical injection systems.

I was surprised that these newer diesels don't seem to give much better fuel consumption. My TD would do 21-23 mpg on stop start, and

25-27 on a run if you didn't thrash it, a couple of times it went over 400 miles on a tankful. I ran the TD and V8 110 hardtops side-by-side for many years. The V8 had (and still has) a drink problem - the TD was economical, but I can't think of anything else nice to say about it. The engine was noisy and smoked horribly on startup. I fitted a boost gauge, and I suspect this made me drive a little more economically.

Steve (Cheshire)

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Sadly, I suspect it will end up being a head over heart (ie SWMBO over me) decision and I'll just have to put up with a D2. I've been on several garage forecourts today and each time have gravitated rapidly to the Defender end, where the wife has had to pull me out from underneath where I've been contemplating chassis and oil leakage, to look at CD changers and 'half leather trimmed steering wheels' and 'active cornering enhancement' and 'bifocal brake balancing' and such like nonsense. FFS, maybe I should just give up and get a Mondeo, it was probably designed by the same people.

:o(

McBad

On or around Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:44:34 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

personally, I think I'd hunt a late-model D1 V8 meself.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah, right! Ok, bit of a hike from S.Wales then! Cheers, M.

Reply to
McBad