88GT Vert why is my fuel pump so noisy?

About a year ago the fuel pump went out on my 88gt vert. It had always been pretty loud. A mechanic replaced it and the replacement was louder than the original! The replacement lasted about 8 months before it died. I replaced it this last time around with a walbro 255lph in tank unit. These walbro units are known for being very very quiet. It still gets pretty loud though, louder than I think it should be... Also, the whine will change pitch if something is drawing on the electrical system. For example if I turn on my turn signal the whine changes pitch with the light blinking on the dash. If I place my foot on the brake pedal to activate the brake lights the whine changes pitch. Same if I turn my headlights on etc...

Anyone shed some light?

If it makes any difference I checked voltage at the regulator and the wires running into the fuel tank, I am getting a healthy 12.xx volts at both locations.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Erik D.

Better to know (: Thanks!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Is the power return line, (small black wire that hooks to the neg pole of the battery then to the frame of the car.) hooked up correctly to the battery?

Reply to
Ironrod