TD5 Disco air suspension

Twice recently the off side air suspension of my 2001 TD5 disco ES has sunk to the bump stops and failed to pump up due to a blown fuse. When replaced it pumped up ok and when left for five days at my local independant LR chap there was no sign of a leak when soap sprayed.

Is back with him again but he's stumped - any suggestions?????

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'm not very familiar with the model but the fact a fuse is blowing suggests either a bad connection shorting, problems with the electronic side of the valve block or the sensors. That fact its only happening on one side suggests the pump is ok unless it is on a slope.

Did it throw any fault codes?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

message

On both occassions it was parked slightly sloping to the off side but not majorly. I'm not equipped to read fault codes.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew, this may be the situation.

One bag has a leak, or maybe a fauly valve block etc.

The compressor is runninmg at double the rate & blows the fuse even before you turn off the car, then the leak drops the car. Aslo, ther comp cant run, as the fuse has blown.

Valves can go sticky, you can even get duff level sensors, but the fuse says leak to me.

Coils mate.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Mine let it's offside down a week or so back. Parked on rough but more or less level ground, parked up for several hours OK, then I sat in it listening to the radio for an hour, got out came back 15 mins later and it was down on the stops. It pumped back up and has been OK since, even left parked at the higher ride height.

Niether am I and I'd like to know what it thinks went wrong. Would one of those =A360 readers mentioned in another thread diagnose this sort of fault? My Disco is a 2004 TD5.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:30:16 -0000, "Andrew Mawson" enlightened us thusly:

is it still blowing the fuse?

when mine did this, it was a dodgy height sensor.

If it blows the pump fuse, then I'm guessing the pump is shagged, or there's a short in the loom.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:03:46 +0000, Nige enlightened us thusly:

the comp shouldn't blow it's fuse due to running too much. Also, they failed to find an airbag leak... The comp can fail from running to often, though, and this could be a symptom, maybe it's getting shagged and drawing too much current.

try upping the fuse rating and see if it works, then see if anything starts smoking...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's quite common,it's not rated for FLC for long periods & overheats drawing more than the fuse can handle

Reply to
Nige

Nige

fuse. When

sprayed.

anything starts

overheats

Oil seal has apparently gone on the compressor letting water into the bearing, which is sh####d, also rear offside air bag replaced and now being tested with a new pump so fingers crossed!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson