Bloody odd noise

Got back after three months and car (1996 Defender 90 CSW) starts first turn of the key.

Bloody peculiar and expensive sounding noise comes out of engine compartment when moving.

Phoned mechanic, who says it sounds like a universal joint at the engine end.

Mechanic turns up on his way home and listens to the noise... "It's not a UJ, pop the bonnet."

Looks inside, "The fan bearing has gone, completely gone, never seen one as bad as this before, I'll be down tomorrow morning (Sunday, which is nice of him) and fix it, only a few minute job."

Reply to
William Black

Burglary?

Reply to
Nige

New tractor battery fitted just before I left the country...

Reply to
William Black

hehehe - whooooosh!

As in a three month stretch :)

Reply to
Nige

Too sophisticated for me mate, I'm still jet lagged...

Try the clever stuff in a week or so.

Reply to
William Black

hehe - where you been?

Reply to
Nige

India.

Reply to
William Black

William Black wrote:

Lucky you, but then with India it's not jet lag, it's shell shock. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I have it lucky there, my wife is Indian.

Car now mended, my mechanic managed to get a fan unit from a breakers.

Cost £35, including fitting...

Reply to
William Black

The problem with having family out there is often you only get to see that families area of the country instead of travelling all round. We have seen more of India than any of the Indians/Asians we know because of that.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

That can be a problem. Indian family life can be intense.

We try and put one longish away from our base every year, and we also go to places where many tourists don't get to.

I was astonished that, for example, Ahmeadbad wasn't in most tourist itineraries despite places like the Gandhi ashram, the Great Mosque and the incredible Akshardham Gandhinagar.

But most of the time we live in Bombay...

My main reason for going to India is that it's far too cold in North Yorkshire in winter...

The reason we live in Bombay is 24 hour power and the incredible range of food that is available.

Reply to
William Black

You chose well this year, it's been bloody freezing.

Reply to
Nige

So I understand from the guy who has the use of the Landy when I'm away.

Reply to
William Black