TDI 200 Disco Rust problem

I removed the plastic sills last summer and discovered that the metal outer sills had a whole load of rust. It had been totally hidden by the plastic trim. What was worse was the fact that whilst not looking like a structrual problem yet, the metal had completely perforated in on or two spots. It looked like the plastic trim had vibrated and worn the paint away alowing rust to get a hold.

Can anyone tell me; a) Is this common, and b) how easy is it to have the sills replaced.

It looks like the sills have to be pretty well positioned so that the holes line up to take the plastic rivets holding the plastic trim.

Thanks

Alan

Reply to
Alan Berry

It is a very common problem that will be effecting almost all 200's and most 300tdi discos just due to age.

To have the sills replaced properly ie: with complete new panels is an expensive job. For customers that don't want to go that far I have had some steel folded to match the outer profile of the sill to replace just the outer face.

Lining up the sill so that the holes match the holes in the plastic trim is the least of your worries. A drill sorts that out in ten seconds.

Reply to
Marc Draper

And indeed the RRC....

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

MarC,

Thanks for the reply.

I thought about the foldered steel option myself. So far I have not got around to making any enquires near me ( Essex) for someone who could do the job.

Fortunately the rust is nowhere near as bad as as at

as posted by Lee D.

Cheers

Reply to
Alan Berry

Scary. Mine is not quite as bad as that, but needs doing as do the rear wheel arches.

I don't suppose anyone has any contacts for repair panels etc? I guess that it's time to invest in the 'Restoring a RRC' manual after all.

Reply to
Pete Young

I have one of those sat here with a RRC for sale, not much use to me now!!

Make me an offer!

Nige

Reply to
Nige