'88 D50 seat belt question

The seat belts in my '88 D50 are slow to retract, getting caught in the doors quite often. If I take the tension off the mid point, they retract quite well. Its when they are just dropped they won't return by them selves. I am thinking I'd like to remove, clean and lube them and want to make sure to do it right. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the part above the shoulder where the belt goes through on the way to the retract er. I think it may just pry off and won't do so when gently pry, not wanting to break it, I am trying here. TIA Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard,

IF I am at the same point as you on your narrative, you are describing where the belt goes through a loop on the cab of the truck, the top of the belt and the bottom are brackets that are Anchors, should be a screw with a large size Torx head. On top, to get to it, if I recall correctly the plastic cover on that loop the belt goes through, is on there much like a clamshell, one top side had a hinge the inside snaps together like a pill dispenser, should be easy to pop up to get to the Torx head screw.

Now if you are trying to describe some plastic Trim pieces that go around the cab area (mine doesn't have it on the sides of the cab, it is bare metal) and there is an access hole, you can get into. but that is "trim" or plastic upholstery... Most of these things are held on with little buttons that press into holes in the sheet metal and are hidden attached to back sides of the trim panels, like door skins are held on with, a demolition type bar used to remove nails from boards like a wonderbar is handy. (see a pic of what your fighting with?

) the trick is to get on them little holders, like a nail behind lath, dont do much prying on the lath (plactic trim pieces) work patiently and firmly they come out...

Reply to
PlowBoy

YOU are one great resource!! Thank you again. It is the one where the belt slips through which in turn is attached directly to the sheet metal of the interior. I am able to turn the clip and belt around but it is difficult to see in there and I am not sure where to or even if I should apply or pry it away with the possibility of breaking it. Now you have given me something further to look for. I suspect the part the belt passes through is just real grungy as the belt retracts if it has slack. The bracket I am trying to remove applies just enough resistance the belt won't retract. So, I figure if I can get it off and clean it maybe it'll work better. Thank you again. Richard

Reply to
Richard