Tdi oil pressure - any ideas?

Hi all,

I've just fitted a 200Tdi motor into my 90, complete with Allisport intercooler. The question I have is, while dring normally, ie 10 miles of A roads, the oil pressure reads 45-50 psi. However on a v long run

30+ miles or when towing the oil pressure drops as low as 35psi. Now as I write this the differnce seems negligable but it is very disconcerting when you see the oil pressure edging downwards when you've got 2 tonnes or weight on the back heading out for a days trialling! So, has anyone else got an oil pressure gauge in their 200 so I can compare these values? I suspect, if the gauge is accurate, that the oil may be wrong for the engine, getting thinner and thinner and altering the pressure. It's Granville 15W/40 and although I was assured it met the spec i;m not so sure now, any ideas on that one? Also does anyone think that the oil temp thermostat may be dodgy, I only ask because I had my sticky fingers in there while I had the engine out! Any suggestions greatfully recieved

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

The oil takes a lot longer to reach temperature than the water. In general terms (ie not 200Tdi specific) hat you are seeing looks normal for the oil reaching temperature and pressure dropping slightly.

15W/40 sounds right - although I've never heard of Granville oil a quick look at their site raises a few concerns. Their Bronze 15W/40 looks ok, but their standard 15W/40 is only CE rated which has been an obsolete spec since 1996 (and was introduced in the 1980's) and is *not* really suitable for a 200Tdi.
Reply to
EMB

Since, when I am not under or in the Landy, I spend my life developing lubricant test equipment....

If you value the engine, use a mainstream lubricant producer's product.(Esso, Shell, Mobil, Castrol etc. etc.) From the smaller guys, in the UK, Morris Lubricants make excellent lubes, even specifically "classic" car lubricants - to the original recipes, and traction engine lubes too. Morris tend to be a bit hard to find outside the Midlands.

The ad-pack in cheaper oils runs out in weeks not months and you lose the benefits of the extra clever chemistry that is in the better oils.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

My personal preference is for Pennzoil lubricants - any comments of a learned nature on the quality of their products?

Reply to
EMB

Top notch again, but where do you get them here ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I don't know for the UK, but the importer for NZ is visible from my kitchen window (and all the motor factors sell it (even the Halfrauds equivalent).

Reply to
EMB

On or around Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:49:35 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

the disco V8 seems to be happy with Castrol GTX "for high mileage engines"...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks for that. Do you think that poor quality oil is to blame for this "problem". Although the engine is of an unknown mileage is hasn't used a drop of oil or water in 600 miles (60 of which heavy towing)and goes like a good 'un. Because I have an intercooler kit fitted and the boost is turned up I want to make sure that the oil is absolutely spot on. I drop the oil and change the filter every 3000 anyway.

I used to run Castrol Turbomax but that got discontinued a little while ago, i'm sure thats why my TD engine lasted so well.

The spec on this Granville oil is as follows:-

API CG-4, ACEA B3/E2/A3-98 mean anything to you?

The manual for the 200Tdi engine stipulates BLS22.0L.09 and CCMC PD1 which adds to the confusion.

If u can throw any light on the subject i would be very grateful.

I'll wait until the engines done 1000 miles and then drop it out and put in something better, do Castrol do an equivalent??

The is a morris distributor near here so I might try them too.

Do i think then that the oil pressures can be considered acceptable?

Right, thaks for the help so far, must go and remove the empty oil containers from the computer room before my other half comes home and thinks i've lost it!!

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

On or around Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:56:15 +0100, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

they're one of the suppliers still marketing a half-decent 20W50 for non-silly money. Silkolene do a nice semi-synth 20W50, but it's not cheap.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 28 Sep 2004 11:52:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave Reynolds) enlightened us thusly:

it's good enough for the 200 TDi.

HBoL states, for the diesel discos:

5W30 - 15W40 ACEA B2:96, API CE or better. Your quoted specs are comfortably better.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

If you can believe the specs - some manufacturers are a bit lax about compliance with the specs, and also as noted elsewhere in this thread some oils break down in very short order.

I have several customers with vehicles that develop a major oil consumption problem about 2000km after a change if cheaper oil is used, despite it meeting the exact same specifications as the oil I normally use. I discovered this the hard way when the distributor substituted an oil in my order without telling me - worse yet they delivered 250 litres of it into my bulk tank. Final outcome - lots of apologies, the proper oil delivered and a reasoanable amount of free stuff (caps, jackets, synthetic oil).

Reply to
EMB

...and that's being polite....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Frankly I agree with EMB - warm oil is less viscous, and therefore drops less pressure in the engine. This is a good thing. Your fuel economy is going to be better. If you use a lube which passes the ACEA spec, its good enough at the moment you put it in your engine. After that, it up to the reputation of the manufacturer. Granville is not one of my customers. Since we make equipment that is mandated for ACEA specifications...go figure....

CCMC ceased to exist sometime ago - there was a big bust up with a couple of manufacturers, so everyone else buggered off and set up a new group.

Lubricants are incredibly political things, believe it or not !

We use a Castrol diesel specific in one of ours, I think its magnatec.

Do so, and if you get stuck they have a good technical support desk.

Yes. Watch them rise again as the weather gets colder.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Thanks all for you help. Feel a bit more happy about the condition of my "new" engine now. I think the correct course of action for me now is to firstly get in touch with the local supplier of Morris oils which I trust and if that doesnt come to anything then I will go back to using Castrol that have done me so well in the past. I believe that although the Granville meets the spec I think with the extra work it is doing with the intercooler and mods I think I shall get the best quality oil I can afford!

Thanks again

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Bit late replying but the Morris oil you need is Ring Free 15w40 for a diesel. It might even be a multifleet suitable for petrol engines. Check the can for API SG or higher.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

specifically

Isn't Silkolene brand limited to bike oil these days. Most of their oils have been rebranded to the parent company name of Fuchs. A superb quality oil suitable for petrol and diesel use is Fuchs Titan ***** [damn, can't remember the name just now] 15w/40. As an aside, Morris make oil in 'own brand' cans for many well known manufacturers.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:35:07 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

what are morris' specs for diesel?

I've been putting GTX-D in the 300 TDi recently, having decided that the previous stuff, while in theory up to spec according to its label, wasn't much good. and for the V8, the new dumbed-down "GTX for high-mileage engines"... which is in fact I think what GTX was before the latest update.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:43:52 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

dunno. the can I had was called "Racelube" and the BMW seemed to like it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Titan

known

The Fuchs is called Titan HPE and the latest formulation is rated API CH4 and API SL for petrol engines. I would think Morris Ring Free would be to a very similar specification.

For racing bikes probably. Did you have a BMW bike? Did it like it as in 'it liked a wee dram'?

Huw

Reply to
Huw