tinting windows, how dark?

I'm thinking about tinting some of the windows on my 110 using those bodge-it-yourself sticky kit things. question is, how dark can I go? I want to do the back rear windows and side rear windows.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

As I understand it as long as you don't touch the front side windows or windscreen then there's no limit to how dark you can make the rear windows

- take the tint to 100% and you may as well be driving a van.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I don't think that doing it yourself is a good idea, unless you really know what you're doing! Just look at the number of vans that you see with poorly applied creased, pealing DIY tints.

Getting it professionally done is not that expensive (but get a couple of quotes) and gives a much wider range of colours and shades.

And you can go as dark as you like from behind the driver backwards.

Reply to
David Willerton

"Mr.Nice." a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hi Mark,

Not that I doubt your ability, but those films are a pain in the neck to apply. A pro could get your windows tainted in no time for a few quids, you'll have a wide range of colors, including the color of you car's body. I don't know for the maximum taint in UK, in France, you can go as dark as you want when it's behind the driver.

-- Henry!

-- "Pleasure in a thing of beauty is the essence of a good life." Zino Davidoff

Reply to
Henry!

Was thinking of the same thing for my RR C. I carry a lot of expensive musical equipment about, tints will keep it from prying eyes.

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

Twas Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:34:19 +0100 when Mr.Nice. put finger to keyboard producing:

seems it was a lousy idea then. I must admit I've just seen a van in the farmers supplies place with an awful tint-effort on the reat windows, looked badly creased and a real mess. I think I'll leave this idea for another time when I can afford a proper-job.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:22:25 GMT when "Alun P" put finger to keyboard producing:

My reasons are similar, I intend making and fitting some weldmesh grilles for the side and sear windows and thought it may help to tint also. As well as tools and camping gear I often carry my photographic equipment around in the back.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Front wind screen can only have a sun strip fitted.

The front side windows must allow min of 75% light through to comply with the law. Which is generally the tint level that a normal factory glass is anyway.

The rest of the side and rear windows can be filtered upto total black out of 0%

limo black is 5% light filtering

My disco has 30% on the front side windows, then 25% on the rear passenger door windows and 15% on all rear windows and alpine lights. Think i would of gone down another 5% on the windows behind the drivers windows. From the inside you cant really tell the fading towards the back which is what i wanted. From the outside it looks dealer fit as the front side windows arent too heavy.

I removed all my glass as i was chasing a water leak and wanted a to try and get a better finish.

Paid £180 for all windows (would of been £250 if i had left them the vechicle)

Hope this helps

Mark

Reply to
Jinx

Can you get this stuff off once applied?

Reply to
Nige

Mark, I strongly advise you to get a professional to do it for you. You will never be happy with what you produce, for the simple reason is the pros use a much thicker film and is guaranteed for at least 10 years. I paid £200 for all my glass in the Disco bar the front drivers and passenger and obviously the windscreen. I had spent at least £70 on the s**te you get in Halfrauds before I bit the bullet and admitted defeat.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

On or around Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:50:07 +0100, "David Willerton" enlightened us thusly:

although making it too dark rather defeats the object of having windows in the first place.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Couple that to the fact you look like a pimp or drug dealer, they look shit!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

not forgetting that, whilst the view from outside in can be seriously impeded, the view from inside out is not effected to the same degree.

the first place.

Reply to
David Willerton

I wouldnt say it was a lousy idea. When i had a hardtop on my swb I tinted the fixed side and hardtop back windows. I did it with the darkest stuff i could buy in the shop. Made it a lot cooler inside (it was horrible on sunny days before!), and made it harder to people outside to see in.

It was really hard to do though!. I took the windows out to make it easier, and it was still a good 4 hours or more for 4 windows.

I got a few bubbles in it, and an impressive number of dog hairs, but it still looked fairly good. since the landy itself isnt pristine, and is also rarely washed it didnt look out of place!. It wouldnt have looked so good on a normal car!

Give it a try on a small window first and see how hard you find it. I think it was worth the effort for mine.

Reply to
Tom Woods