Testing an electric fan?

It appears more or less a simple mechanism: a plastic fan screwed to the metal BBQ grid, a sensor in line in the top rad hose (ie the hose coming from the rad has been cut and the sensor fitted between the two halves) and some wires sourcing power and ground somewhere.

The fan was in place when I bought the LR (IIA 88 2.25 diesel).

How can I test that it works? If I wanted to check a viscous fan I'd look at it! If I wanted to check the thermostat was working I'd remove it and drop it in a pot of hot water to see if it opened/closed, but these new-fangled (!) electric fans are beyond me and I'd prefer not to dismantle it.

The LR's temp guage sits above the midway point but the vehicle does not appear to overheat - I'm used to guages which remain stubbornly at the bottom end of their travel. After sitting in traffic for a while the guage climbs higher but the fan doesn't seem to kick in (i listened for it, then climbed out for a look-see).

Maybe I shouldn't fret about it but I'd like to know the thing was working before undertaking long journeys. Engine runs beautifully BTW and fuel consumption is unbelievable after coming from petrol Landies!

Reply to
Jerry

Mine is only set to come on at 90°C - below that it never comes on. It only gets that hot when I'm using the Series stationary driving a PTO driven pump. It's a Kenlowe unit with a thermostat that I installed just beside the radiator.

Depending on where in the world you live, the use you put your LR to, and the condition of the cooling system, you may find it's entirely unnecessary to your needs. I'm in the sub tropics (Brisbane), & it gets rather warm in summer ...

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

You've answered your own question!

It it were mine I would remove the sensor from the top hose and dump it in a pot of very hot water and see if the fan started.

It's also usual (but not mandatory) to have a twiddle knob somewhere that sets the temperature it kicks in at, if you can find it, it may be worth twiddling that as well.

Cheers

Peter

1990 110 2.5TD "Reggie the Veggie"
Reply to
puffernutter

Disconnect the fan & connect the wires straight across the battery to check the fan. Test the thermostat with an multimeter. If there are 3 terminals you need to determine which is the common & which are normally closed and normally open.

Cheers, Chrisall.

Reply to
chris

If you want to check the fan has a feed and will run just bridge the wires from the the thermostat it should spin like a mad spinning thing to check the thermostat pop it in boiling water and run an Ohmeter across the terminal it is after all a simple elctrical switch. Derek

Reply to
Derek

As always, thanks for the help chaps...

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry,

Does the in-line sensor have a black plastic cover that is oblong shaped? If it does then underneath it is an adjuster to set the temperature at which the fan comes on. To test warm up the engine and move the adjuster so that the fan operates - then move it back!

Regards

RichardB

Reply to
RichardB

I'll have a look and try it if there is. I was wondering if there was an adjuster somewhere but couldn't see one.

Richard, weird question but: do you drive a SWB truck cab and live on/close to Denbigh Road in Norwich?

Reply to
Jerry

Not me! I live in Banham which is about 18 miles west of Norwich. My landie is an ex RAF

90 truck cab in fetching military green.

You can see it here:-

It has been to Norwich but not for a while.

Regards

RichardB

Reply to
RichardB

That's a very fetching beast... The chequer plate and the Hi-Lift look the business!

Reply to
Jerry

The plating was a bit of a necessity really. The rear tub was full of holes of various shapes and sizes so it was the easy option to sort it. It was quite straight forward to install and not as expensive as you might think.

RichardB

Reply to
RichardB