Texaco MTF-94 & "Honda Genuine MTF"

Hi Does anybody know if the "Honda Genuine MTF" is really the Texaco MTF-94 ?

thanks Pat

Reply to
bolivar1001

They are to all intents and purpose Identical.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Huw how did you come to that conclusion? is that info available somewhere?

the MTF-94 is hard to get while the "Honda Genuine MTF" is available I don't want to make a mistake using the Honda product in my R380 if they are not completely the same thing. Please let me know

thanks Pat

Reply to
bolivar1001

What about:

MTFLOD5L Lodexol MTF GL4 Fully Synthetic 75w/80 Transmission Oil 5L - Morris Oil £13.00 Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Texaco were the manufacturers of original fill oil for British built Honda gearboxes fitted to MG/Rover/Austin cars from the early 80's. There is nothing new or mysterious about the oil. FWIW I have used MT type oil in my LT77 gearbox for over 15 years and long before LR decided it was a superior product. It still goes as well as ever after over 10,000 hours of intense use. I have never used the specific MTF [belatedly] recommended by LR but use MT oil specific for Ford MT75 [i think it's called] made by Morris oils so as far as I am concerned the brand is not important as long as it is reputable while the spec is most important but not life threatening as long as it is better than ATF, which LR recommended for many years and which provided little wear protection over the long term.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

If I didn't have the MT75 stuff left to use in my workshop, that is what I would probably use. Either that or the Fuchs equivalent.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I'd second Huw on using Morris Lubes, if in doubt, you can always speak to the guys in Morris Oil technical support - they are experts.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Indeed - my 110 is just coming up to 250,000 whith no major mechanical failures (even the gearbox died due to a broken circlip rather than the usual - though at 210,000 it was going) - all on Morris Oils. 'Course the oils are change regularly (cough, cough)! I sell it because it's good, even though a most people outside the transport industry have never heard of them

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

My company [the company I work for LOL] was the first ever to arrange a tour around the Morris factory. It was an eye opener for many customers who came with us to see the quality control and to see oil being packed in cans for many reputable manufacturers in OE colours and brands apart from Morris cans. Like I said my 110 has passed an amazing 10,000 hours of work, which would be equivalent to 300,000 miles at 30mph. In fact it has done some 130,000 miles of very short offroad journeys mainly fetching cows and pulling a vast cattle trailer. No work done on any major component apart from clutches and power steering. I do put the gearbox life down to using MTF type oil in the main box and thin oil in the transfer. The engine has always used long drain oil [SHPD] changed every 5000 miles for convenience.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Richard -

Can you get the morris oil in 25L containers?, and do they work out as cheaper than buying multiple 5L's? and do you stock any different grades to the ones you list on your site? (my fleet of saabs drink 10/30 and it would be less hassle for me to buy in bulk!)

I'm assuming that you just stick in a big order from morris every so often to keep yourself in stock? (and can therefore get different stuff if i'm prepared to wait until you order?) Ta, Tom

Reply to
Tom Woods

Certainly can - often quite a saving over 5L cans.

I think it's true to say I can get practically any oil from Morris (their range is *vast*). What spec 10/30 do you need? Sythetic, semi etc?

That's about the size of it - I can sometimes "borrow" stuff from another stockist for the more common oils to speed things up.

Delivery can be a problem, the couriers want it paletised when in 25L cans, so it can get a bit pricey.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Andy Brown at Morris says they can supply nearly everything in 25L containers.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor