The saga continues Land Rover Discovery Clutch

Hi all,

A while ago I posted I was having problems with my Land Rover Discovery Clutch after the new gearbox had been fitted. It was still under warranty and the company failed to honour the warranty. Anyway if got repaired by another garage as I was 200 miles away from the place the work was carried out and it seems the fault was that the pivot had punched a hole in the new arm. Now the company that originally carried out the work have said and I quote the e-mail:-

Dear Andrew.

Thanks for the email.

I recieved and signed for the part.

There is not much to review really.

The pivot has obviously worn its way through the arm.

The arm is new and genuine as I stated earlier.

We always check the pivot for signs of wear or anything in close association with the work we carry out, so I do not see why it should have caused this problem. It is in our interests to make sure all seems OK with other components. Having said that I cannot be held resposible for the condition of the rest of the vehicle as the parts we fitted are not at fault. Thanks and kind regards, (person for the company)

-------------------------------------

Vehicle is Land Rover Discovery 2.5 TDI 1993 7 seater

Since the new clutch and gearbox was fitted it has done 2112 miles - not bloody excessive.

Anyone help me out?

Andrew

P.S. I have not mentioned the company as I suspect we are heading for County Court.

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Not unusual, heard of one that pushed through in 500 mls. However should be replaced as it is obviously "not fit for the purpose it was sold for."

Reply to
Hirsty's

It has done over 2000 miles. It is an 11 year old vehicle. A component has failed. You got it repaired at another dealer for your convenience.

Shit happens. Get over it and get on with your life. If you must take it to court, then be prepared to loose expensively. People like you are a major part of the reason garages have to charge so much. That is to cover themselves for unreasonable expectations and claims.

The Country and its people is going to pot, it really is!

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The pressed forks are a pants design. We see loads punched through at work - very few clutch plates or discs failing, just forks. Not done it myself but alot of people reinforce the back of the fork/arm with weld.

Lee

Reply to
LEE ARGYLE

Yes it is a poor design which is just one of many things that should have been sorted years ago. Hardly the fault of the repair centre I would have thought. Frankly the Land Rover customer who chooses to buy products with known quality and design issues is the looser and will continue to be as long as he accepts and buys products with character ;-)

Give me reliability any day of the week. I used to run four or five Land and Range Rovers concurrently. It was an absolute nightmare to keep them going. More than that, it hit my wallet hard. I gave it up as a habit in 1990 and have never looked back.

I am in the market for a new Hi-cap pick-up though. My current one is a few months short of 20 years old. I do not want the outdated current model. I do want a new one with the comfort and safety of the [soon to be launched] new Disco combined with the utility of my present one. This will see me well into retirement. I doubt that the body of my Land Cruiser will last twenty years although I am confident that the mechanical components are of superlative quality and will seldom let me down.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hear, hear. I thought this was alt.FAN.landrover....... Some posters make me wonder.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

Huw wait a bloody minute,

This guy gave me an 15 m> > Hi all,

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Huw

Why don't you clear off. What is your garage called:-

Arthur Daleys classic motors

Bye

Andrew Renshaw

Oh the arm itself should be replaced, there is no doubt about that. And freely for the part if under six months of age. If the garage were one that built a price for such eventualities into its labour charge, then they could and would [with some persuasion] provide the labour 'free'. If however the garage was one of the honest ones who charge £35/hour or less for their time, then it will be a struggle for them to afford the time and labour freely. If they charged £50 to £75 an hour in the first instance then it is likely they allow for a certain number of f*ck-ups.

It is a fact, in this case though, that the vehicle was repaired at a different dealer, not the one who originally did the work, due to convenience. It is entirely unreasonable to expect the original repairer to pay the commercial rates billed by a third party to repair the vehicle where their own workshop time must *cost* them a considerable amount less.

I do not generally offer advice, [I charge an extortionate rate for that ;o) but do offer an opinion when I have one, which you are entirely at liberty to disregard. I am a Land Rover fan but am not blind deaf or dumb. No vehicle is perfect and if you think so, then you have shit for brains.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Hmmm .. it sure says alt.fan.landrover on both sides of my LAND ROVER ;-)

If the original seller gave a warranty - they should honour it.

Reply to
The Neffalump

Maybe. I don't know the circumstances further than what you posted. I do know that it was not repaired by them but am not clear if they were given the opportunity to do so, considering you said "Anyway if got repaired by another garage as I was 200 miles away from the place the work was carried out".

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I am not clearing off. If you do not agree with me, then that is alright with me but if you abuse me you will get it back by the bucketful. I do *not* suffer fools gladly ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

should

I have now seen the post where you state that they gave you a 15 month [funny time frame??] warranty. Maybe it was a 'parts and labour' warranty but more likely it was a 'parts only' warranty for that period, especially for a clutch. Maybe you will let us know? Clutches are a weak reliability point on any vehicle and I have seldom, if ever, come across a warranty which covered it for long, except on a new vehicle or specifically just for the cover alone. ISTR that some main agents will do this, thinking specifically of Toyota dealers, but the initial labour costs are high to cover a percentage of problems.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

should

posters

Oh sorry! I didn't know fans should be blind to reality. Does the fact that I have owned around a dozen Land Rover products over the years, which means that I know both their good *and* bad points, mean that I am not a 'FAN' after all?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I solved that problem - Piglet has no clutch ;-)

Reply to
The Neffalump

One thing I know is that most of the LR fraternity ( connected group ) I deal with are pleasant, makes a change to find a difference once in a while I suppose. I am not deaf and dumb either as this would cause me driving problems. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion certainly, I will not post mine of you as children read this NG as I am sure you are aware :-)) . As for my brains..... well that's my privelage, mind you in History the privelage has been removed at times ( Nazi Germany for one and Iraq for another )

Now I must go so that I can wipe off my head and then go and beat up my teddy bear again, have as nice a day as you can Huw :-o

Reply to
Hirsty's

You have my sympathy, what a problem you must have living with yourself. Must be a form of self abuse ;-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

The 110 is the only 4x4 of mine to have a clutch. A clutch is so 'Sixties' don't you think LOL

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Think you're a clever bastard don't you. Think again. You just haven't got the skill.

Huw

Reply to
Huw