Thinking of buying a discovery?

I am thinking of changing my eurobox for either another newer eurobox or a Discovery. I have a max budget of around £4500 so am looking at Disco's upto ten years old. i have been looking at 300 tdi models with around 100k on the clock. my main concern is that it will be my only form of transport so must be reliable and i intend to keep it for atleast five possibly up to ten years. i have had classic cars in the past so intend to do my own servicing. Is a discovery up to the job. (i know i'll get biased answers :)

Main questions at the moment are - Servicing, i think its every 6000 miles, what does it entail, i assume its an oil change every service. but what else? Are the any websites that give examples of what to look for when buying, is the 300 tdi a good choice, what else might i consider?

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Yup; plenty of patience, a sympathetic approach to things mechanical, time belt mod on some, regular oil changes, gerabox mainshaft wear, immobiliser problems on some models, corrossion around wheelarches I beleive.

4x4 more complex so more to go wrong, but then if they can be fixed on the most part in the middle of the bush with a gas torch and a hammer (or C4 set on fire ) then can't be all bad. Most of all you would have the undivided sympathy of most in this group along with suggestions ( some helpful )

London taxis had the same basic block as the 200/ 300 tdi and look at the life out of them ?

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

Paul I am selling mine if you are interested?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw