Rev Counter/alternator

I have a RRC 3.9 '91 Auto and replaced the alternator about 6 months ago with a recon unit.

Just over the past few days the charge warning light is taking longer to go out after starting each time and the rev counter has started substantially under reading, I know the rev counter gets it signal from the alternator.

I have checked the charge from the alternator and when the ignition warning light is extinguished, the charge is good and I have no starting issues.

Is there a way of checking whether the rev counter fault is with the alternator or with the rev counter?

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

Check the tension of the fan-belt - just in case!

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Gut feel (and educated guess) is that one set of windings have gone open circuit. Your 2 options are to take it off and get it checked (or check it yourself if you've got the knowledge), or fire it on a scope and see what the HF ripple looks like (I'll bet there's only 2 traces showing).

Reply to
EMB