2000 Corsa TD 45k very very hard to get into or change gear

Hi, I have a year 2000 corsa diesel, about 45k miles on the clock. clutch hasn't been changed. when i bought it last year i noticed that changing gear was not as smooth as i would have liked, but it was tolerable. over the past four months, it has gotten intermittently worse. it doesn't matter if the car is warm or cold, or how long the journey is. getting it into first gear is hardest, and puts up the most resistance - i have started taking off in second gear and not trying first at all. it takes two hands to get it into first and i just go into second moving off from traffic lights. fourth to fifth isn't as hard, and second to fourth isn't as hard. i dread putting it into reverse when starting as it can take three or four very loud crunching goes to get it in, with the clutch to the floor. it feels like i am forcing it into gear, and it seems to bump during gear change - from third to fourth it bumps out of third into the middle and them bumps down to fourth - there is nothing smooth about it. i know nothing about cars, but am posting here as i brought the car to a garage for an mot service and they saw nothing wrong with the gearbox or clutch (i told them it was getting harder to get into and to change gears and asked them to look at it, as i wanted the problem fixed whether it was needed for the mot or not). this was four months ago, and i told them that it was starting to get hard for me to get it into gear. many thanks for your advice!

Reply to
po

It sounds like the clutch is dragging. Get the cable checked first (if it's a cable-operated clutch), or get the hydraulics bled (if it's a hydraulic clutch) (I don't know which it is on a Corsa). If that doesn't fix it then the problem may be with the clutch itself, but get those checked first.

Does it go into gear easier with the engine stopped?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

thank you! when the car is switched off, and the clutch is depressed, i can change between the gears no problem. i will look up which type of clutch it has and get that checked first.

Reply to
po

Sounds like the standard corsa worn out gear linkage as discussed earlier.

Reply to
MrCheerful

TBH, I would disagree. The fact the OP mentions it's easy to get into gear with the engine off would suggest the clutch.

A 2000 Corsa will almost certainly be a Corsa B (oldest shape), thus cable actuated clutch. Best idea would be to give the adjuster a quick turn clockwise a few times and see if it eases up. Ultimiately, though, it means a new clutch is on the cards.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

The OP posted the info about engine off after I posted, so yes I agree first thing to look at is clutch adjustment. However, the worn linkage can give strange effects, so I wouldn't discount it !!! Has the OP got a thick carpet/extra mat under the clutch pedal, I have come across that before, I automatically move the mat, the regular driver doesn't and thinks there is a fault.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful