to tube or not to tube...

Can I use tubeless tyres on the rims of an early Range Rover (1976)? I'm asking because I don't like the idea using tubes on tubeless tyres. I did have a lot of problems with that on my 110.

Greetings, Hans

Reply to
Hans de Ruiter

|| Can I use tubeless tyres on the rims of an early Range Rover (1976)? || I'm asking because I don't like the idea using tubes on tubeless || tyres. I did have a lot of problems with that on my 110. || || Greetings, Hans

Look on the rims - if they are suitable for tubeless, there should be "tubeless type" cast in somewhere. IIRC all RRs had tubeless tyres as standard, but who knows what rims are on there after 30 years.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I've never had a problem with tubes in tubeless tyres unless totally unrelated to either e.g. loose rust, grit etc.. For a successful fitment ensure that all labels inside the tyre are removed completely before fitting the tube. The metallised labels in BFG tyres are particularly effective at putting holes in tubes.

I believe that the original steel RR wheel was airtight with a tubeless tyre but I always used tubes myself.

Reply to
Dougal

Well, I've had at least 9 flat tyres with Pirelli Scorpion AT's on my

110. The inside of the tyre just tore the tubes to shreds. When changing to steel disco rims and getting rid of the tubes the problem disappeard. That's why I am not so keen on using tubes on tubeless tyres. Now I have a 1976 RR with steel rims. It says tubed on the outside but they seem to hold very well without the tubes. We'll see if they last this way...

Greetings and thanks on the input, Hans

Reply to
Hans de Ruiter

Fair comment, Hans. With your experience you're right to be suspicious.

From what you say it's more a problem related to specific tyres in that case. I'm running Disco steel rims with BFG tyres and tubes without a problem. The original RR steel rims ran Michelin tyres with tubes satisfactorily.

Reply to
Dougal

I had similar problems with Technic Trackers, but once I'd found a tyre fitter who knew what they were doing, the problem went away. In the first month I had 5 tyre deflations, all on different wheels, but once fitted properly I didn't have any. I was advised to pump the tyres up to high pressure and to keep the speed down at first to 60 or below, after a month or so of no deflations I lowered the pressure to normal pressures and they were fine.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Well, I prefer tubeless actually, just feels a bit safer. So far so good on the RR steel rims. I can always fit tubes if necessary and then will use your advice.

Greetings and thanks, Hans

Reply to
Hans de Ruiter

AIUI, the problem with using tubeless tyres on tube-type rims is not that the rims aren't airtight (apart from wire wheels, which, oddly, I've never seen on a Range Rover), but that if the rim doesn't have the humps just inboard of the bead seats, the tyre is more likely to be able to slip inwards and deflate rapidly in the event of a moderately severe puncture. I suppose it's also possible that under extreme conditions, like hitting a kerb or a rock, a softish tyre could also be displaced off its seat, with the same disastrous result.

Reply to
Autolycus

Hmm... I can imagine that. How do I determine whether my rims are tubeless or not? It says 'tubed' on the outside, so I suppose I should use tubes?

Greetings, Hans

Reply to
Hans de Ruiter

If they are the old Rostyle steel rims originally fitted to the early Range Rover, then they do not have the tyre bead groove essential to hold an untubed tyre in place. I had these on my first 90. Tubes are recommended for these. You might get away without tubes, but I wouldn't risk it!

I only went tubeless after I replaced them with the early Disco steel wheels, which are designed for running tubeless.

Neil

Neil